+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WP Renewal denied. Lawyers say I can keep working from abroad

Jorge_G

Dec 3, 2019
Hi!

First of all, thanks in advance for any help received.

I've just got my extension for the WP denied and my attorneys say that I can keep working for my company from my home country (Spain) with my existing Canadian contract. This does seem extremely odd to me since I thought the moment I lose the WP I lose the job. It would make more sense to me if my contract changed or I was hired as a contractor but maybe I'm wrong here and there aren't any issues.

Also, does anybody know what happens with my pre-existing taxes and the ones coming forward? Do I need to pay them on Spain or on Canada?

Cheers!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!

First of all, thanks in advance for any help received.

I've just got my extension for the WP denied and my attorneys say that I can keep working for my company from my home country (Spain) with my existing Canadian contract. This does seem extremely odd to me since I thought the moment I lose the WP I lose the job. It would make more sense to me if my contract changed or I was hired as a contractor but maybe I'm wrong here and there aren't any issues.

Also, does anybody know what happens with my pre-existing taxes and the ones coming forward? Do I need to pay them on Spain or on Canada?

Cheers!
Your first question is a contract question - not an immigration question. Depends how your contract is structured and what it allows.

For your second question - I'm not sure what you mean by pre-existing taxes and the ones coming foward.

Jorge_G

Dec 3, 2019
Thanks!

What I meant is... if I am working from Spain now... should I tell my company to pay taxes in Spain or should they keep taxing me in Canada?