+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WP expiring in April, unemployed. What can I do?

Vaneshree

Feb 18, 2012
Greetings,

So I left the employer who I worked as a Live-in Caregiver for. I am renting a place for the next two weeks. My WP expires on April 19 (because my current passport expires May 19) they dont go beyond passport validity date even if I had two year employement contract. anyways...for those who do not know, I had a bad first experience in Canada and left the employer/host family I was with. i was with them for less than three months. I am now unemployed, no money and no ticket back home :( i have searched for new employers with no luck. Can I look for other jobs apart from Live-in Caregiver ones? I am a student and will complete my degree soon. I really do not want to leave Canada anytime soon or at all right now :( neither do I want to do anything that is illegal or whatever. So can I get help from immigration? Can I look for a waitressing job? What can be done?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You mentioned in one of your posts you have a family willing to hire you, what happened there? You can not work for any employer except for the employer on your WP. Find an employer who's willing to hire you and go through the process of hiring a foreign worker (ads, LMO) and then your WP. Considering LMO processing time, I doubt you'd get the LMO in time for you to apply for the WP. If you found an employer, apply for the WP once a LMO is already in process. Attach a cover letter explaining you have a LMO in process, and you'll be losing you status in x number of weeks. You can only work with a WP.

Vaneshree said:
Greetings,

So I left the employer who I worked as a Live-in Caregiver for. I am renting a place for the next two weeks. My WP expires on April 19 (because my current passport expires May 19) they dont go beyond passport validity date even if I had two year employement contract. anyways...for those who do not know, I had a bad first experience in Canada and left the employer/host family I was with. i was with them for less than three months. I am now unemployed, no money and no ticket back home :( i have searched for new employers with no luck. Can I look for other jobs apart from Live-in Caregiver ones? I am a student and will complete my degree soon. I really do not want to leave Canada anytime soon or at all right now :( neither do I want to do anything that is illegal or whatever. So can I get help from immigration? Can I look for a waitressing job? What can be done?

Vaneshree

Feb 18, 2012
job_seeker said:
You mentioned in one of your posts you have a family willing to hire you, what happened there? You can not work for any employer except for the employer on your WP. Find an employer who's willing to hire you and go through the process of hiring a foreign worker (ads, LMO) and then your WP. Considering LMO processing time, I doubt you'd get the LMO in time for you to apply for the WP. If you found an employer, apply for the WP once a LMO is already in process. Attach a cover letter explaining you have a LMO in process, and you'll be losing you status in x number of weeks. You can only work with a WP.
Hi , thank you. That famly didnt work out as they decided they wanted someone with drivers license asap.

riaivy1980

Jun 2, 2010
Canadiannanny.com has a lot of hiring and as well as kijiji. Me too I am unemployed and my work permit is expiring but I have submitted my application for an OWP/PR. When will u be done with the 24 months? Just keep on looking, there'll be something for u, one day.Goodluck! ;D

riaivy1980

Jun 2, 2010
Vaneshree said:
I might be going back home :(
I called Cic the other day and I asked about the processing times for LIC, and she said that they are processing dec.8, 2011 already and asked her about my work permit which is expiring march 28, this year. But I've submitted my application January 7, this year but was unemployed February. Shejust saidthat I will be under imPlied status and I can stay here for indefinite period of time until my open work permit comes. ;) don't give up, we had already sacrificed a lot and we just have to be patient. It'll come. ;D