+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would my PCC expire?

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
I lived in Italy until 2016, then lived abroad. I spent the last 4 months in Italy (as a turist/non-resident), I will leave the country in Feb and will likely spend another 1 week in Italy in May before moving to Canada in June and apply for Inland SS.

Based on this, if I get my PCC this week, would they expire after 6 months? Or since the last time I spend more than 6 months in a row in Italy was in 2016 then the PCC would not expire?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I lived in Italy until 2016, then lived abroad. I spent the last 4 months in Italy (as a turist/non-resident), I will leave the country in Feb and will likely spend another 1 week in Italy in May before moving to Canada in June and apply for Inland SS.

Based on this, if I get my PCC this week, would they expire after 6 months? Or since the last time I spend more than 6 months in a row in Italy was in 2016 then the PCC would not expire?
You're overthinking this, submit the recent one now and then if IRCC needs it updated, they will ask for it.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am applying in June, not now. But I am in Italy now so it would be easy for me to get one now.
Ah, I see.
It should still be valid when you submit in June, but I'd recommend getting it closer to the date. less chance you'll have to figure out how to get another later when you're not in Italy.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Ah, I see.
It should still be valid when you submit in June, but I'd recommend getting it closer to the date. less chance you'll have to figure out how to get another later when you're not in Italy.
Thanks.
Also, I have been living in UK since 2016 and will move out in June when I will then enter Canada as visitor to apply for Inland SS.
Do you know if I can get the UK police certificate before leaving the UK (say in May), or do I need to obtain it after I have left the UK?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks.
Also, I have been living in UK since 2016 and will move out in June when I will then enter Canada as visitor to apply for Inland SS.
Do you know if I can get the UK police certificate before leaving the UK (say in May), or do I need to obtain it after I have left the UK?
I'm not aware of any requirement to get it after you leave a place.

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
I'm not aware of any requirement to get it after you leave a place.
From this link it seems there is a requirement, but it applies to express entry applications.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

I can't find anything stating the same for spousal sponsorship. It actually seems that the police certificates are valid for 1 year for SS, but it is so confusing as the link still refers to police certificates being asked during the application processing, which makes me think the information could be outdated...
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/apply.html

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
From this link it seems there is a requirement, but it applies to express entry applications.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html

I can't find anything stating the same for spousal sponsorship. It actually seems that the police certificates are valid for 1 year for SS, but it is so confusing as the link still refers to police certificates being asked during the application processing, which makes me think the information could be outdated...
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/apply.html
Sorry, can't help. I'd generally say go by strictest interpretation of the instructions but frankly for UK/USA, Canada will have good access. You're just going to have to decide.

As far as I am aware for spousal apps: for police certificates they generally seem to ask if a PCC they've received isn't exactly what they want.

The instructions are indeed confusing because - frankly - they cover ever country in the world. Some countries will not issue anytihng of the sort without a 'request letter' from Canada. And there are wee nuances all over.