+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

would like to sponsor wife and son but didnt declare them in my papers

tofu

Dec 6, 2009
i was sponsored by my brother to come here in canada, while my papers still in process i got married and had a son, so when i left my country to come to canada my status is still single and didnt declared my wife and son, coz afraid that they are goin to refuse my papers when they knew that im already married, im still residence but can apply for citizenship now, is there any way that i could sponsor them?? help please thank you

mrsJDL

Dec 6, 2009
i am sorry to say this but expect hell on earth. i am experiencing the same problem right now, and in my case, i was really single at the time of my application for permanent residence but had a boyfriend (who is now my husband). i sponsored him now as spouse but during the filling up of our sponsorship forms, we declared that we lived together when we were still boyfriend-girlfriend, as proof that our relationship is genuine.

they sent us a letter notifying us that he is not my boyfriend at the time of my application, rather, my COMMON-LAW PARTNER because we declared that we lived together. in this case, they were saying that he was under the R117(9)d EXCLUDED FAMILY MEMBER because i did not declare him as my commonlaw partner before, and cannot be sponsored as a family member now.

start gathering information now and seek help from lawyers. my case only started last thursday, and i haven't slept for more than 3 hours eversince, and never had more than 1 meal in a day.

prepare yourself, this will be so painful.

alok11

Oct 3, 2009
tofu said:
i was sponsored by my brother to come here in canada, while my papers still in process i got married and had a son, so when i left my country to come to canada my status is still single and didnt declared my wife and son, coz afraid that they are goin to refuse my papers when they knew that im already married, im still residence but can apply for citizenship now, is there any way that i could sponsor them?? help please thank you
As you have been advised, expect a hell on earth!!!
The sponsorship will be outrightly refused, you would never ever be able to sponsor them to canada infact you may be removed from canada for 'misrepresentation'
You lied to CHC to get your PR now they will get you back. In my language there is a saying ' bi iro ba lo logun odun, ojo kan ni otito yio ba' meaning: You can fool MOST of the the people MOST of the time but you cannot fool ALL the people ALL of the time.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Nope - no way. Because you deliberately kept your wife and son a secret when you landed, they are excluded from the family class and any application you file to sponsor them to Canada will be refused under Section 117(9)(d) of the IRPA Regulations. This part of the Act is there in the first place to prevent people from hiding family members that they feel will cause their application to be refused - and people do this knowing that a medical or criminal issue with a spouse or dependent will make them inadmissible to Canada also. Sadly, if there weren't any medical or criminal issues with your wife or child, adding them to your application as required would not have caused your application to be refused. Now you've no way to bring them to Canada unless your wife can qualify on her own as an Independent Immigrant and, frankly, it really frustrates me that people allow themselves to be so completely uninformed about the consequences of such a decision before they make it - but, you were blatantly dishonest and, for the record, you misrepresented yourself and that puts your own PR in jeopardy.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

RobsLuv said:
Nope - no way. Because you deliberately kept your wife and son a secret when you landed, they are excluded from the family class and any application you file to sponsor them to Canada will be refused under Section 117(9)(d) of the IRPA Regulations. This part of the Act is there in the first place to prevent people from hiding family members that they feel will cause their application to be refused - and people do this knowing that a medical or criminal issue with a spouse or dependent will make them inadmissible to Canada also. Sadly, if there weren't any medical or criminal issues with your wife or child, adding them to your application as required would not have caused your application to be refused. Now you've no way to bring them to Canada unless your wife can qualify on her own as an Independent Immigrant and, frankly, it really frustrates me that people allow themselves to be so completely uninformed about the consequences of such a decision before they make it - but, you were blatantly dishonest and, for the record, you misrepresented yourself and that puts your own PR in jeopardy.
Except the OP was probably included as a single dependent of a parent in a sponsorship application.

PMM

alok11

Oct 3, 2009
tofu said:
The OP clearly said and i quote 'while my papers still in progress i got married and had a son, so when i left my country to come to canada my status is still single and didn't declare my wife and son, coz afraid they are goin to refuse my papers when they knew that im already married'.
Therefore, he was not single at landing but he clearly claimed to be single. Why on earth people would do that is beyond my understanding.

tofu

Dec 6, 2009
thank you for the info....so there is no way i could get them?? eventhough i became citizen?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No. The law is very clear on this. You also did this deliberately and not by mistake, meaning that there are no mitigating factors. You will never be allowed to sponsor them, I'm afraid.

tofu said:
thank you for the info....so there is no way i could get them?? eventhough i became citizen?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
when I received a passport request letter, it was clearly written in there that I must notify them of all the changed in my family that had happened during the application process and they also clearly stated there that if I do not notify them of any changes, the new family members will never have a right to be sponsored by me again. I guess it can answer your question.
you definitely need to consult lawyer about any possible chances for you to sponsor your family after you become a citizen. being a PR you have no chances. but being citizen you might get a chance at least to make citizenship to your son. but you need a good lawyer's advice.
have you considered to divorce and remarry your wife again in a few months? I don't know whether it can help your application.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Suin said:
when I received a passport request letter, it was clearly written in there that I must notify them of all the changed in my family that had happened during the application process and they also clearly stated there that if I do not notify them of any changes, the new family members will never have a right to be sponsored by me again. I guess it can answer your question.
you definitely need to consult lawyer about any possible chances for you to sponsor your family after you become a citizen. being a PR you have no chances. but being citizen you might get a chance at least to make citizenship to your son. but you need a good lawyer's advice.
have you considered to divorce and remarry your wife again in a few months? I don't know whether it can help your application.
1. Citizenship will not change the fact that he didn't declare his family. There is a good chance that he will be reported for misrepresentation and removed from Canada.
2. Divorce and re-marriage will not work either.

PMM

dante

Apr 7, 2010
I have the same issue too, my consultant advise me not to declare my spouse and daughter due to limited funds which I agreed. I have not consulted a lawyer as they are too expensive as I am only working in a factory and on EI on several occassions... making it very difficult to sponsor them... any advise.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
This is an issue tangential to the main one, but everyone seems to have given the poster the same advice: he’s out of luck. So maybe I can ask this question now?

I have never understood the logic of being required to list all family members in a PR application, specifically those who are not going to be sponsored to Canada. PMM explained it concisely some months ago, that it was to prevent the PR trying to “hide” certain unacceptable family members now, and later apply to sponsor them to Canada. At least I think that is what he said.

I am afraid I don’t get the logic. To me, it makes more sense for Canada to investigate only those family members who are trying to come to Canada now. If the PR should change his mind and try to sponsor additional family members later, Canada should investigate the additionals at that time, and either admit or reject their application.

Canada must spend a lot of time unnecessarily investigating family members who will never come to Canada.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Is it possible for the OP's wife to apply for immigration under a different class, like skilled worker or something, or will she still be refused because of her husband's actions?

dante

Apr 7, 2010
Received a mail today asking to pay for RPRF, does it mean that they will be issuing visa soon? I process my papers in London.

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It does appear to be that way dante. Of course they still can't finish the processing of the application without it and may still run background checks before issuing it. Though if you have not declared your spouse or children, I suggest you do that now. Do not let a consultants advice end up causing you more damage later down the road. So before you land or even before being issued the visa, I suggest you mention any other family. The extra months in delay to add them to your application, could save you years of heartache.