+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would like to get few things cleared up

ay8p1

Sep 19, 2007
Hello whoever can help us,

I am Canadian and currently residing in Japan with my Japanese wife. We've been married for over a year and half.
I decided I would like to bring her back to Canada with me to live. Would this be an Immigration case/Spousal Sponsorship ?
I read over a few other threads and found this webpage: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
And there is also a section on the "Application to sponsor" form that states: Co-Signer <--------- What is that??
It's just me and my wife over here in Japan; would she be the co-signer? But isn't she the person who I am sponsoring?
Of course, I would have to fill out one of those forms and submit it. I plan to do so by returning to Canada first and submitting it personally.
How long would the process take?
A potential problem is, I am currently still paying off my student loans in Canada. Would this be considered "government assistance" and pose as a problem to sponsoring my wife over?
I, being in Japan right now, don't have a job back in Canada. I heard this isn't a problem even though I have no source of income.

If anybody could please clear this up for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
If not, I could understand since this is a busy forum with dozens of questions posted everyday.

Thanks for your time.

AY

JROKER

Sep 16, 2007
Hi Ay,
I beleive a student loan does not qualify as government assistance. But you should double check that.
I think it refers to any welfare or un-employment insurance.
If you are currently employed you shouldn't worry about the gov. assistance,
Also the co-signer is not applicable and not required for spouse sponsorhip. Have you tried calling the 1-800 number? Sometimes they are helpfull however sometimes you'll have to wait 60+ minutes.

goodluck
jena

ay8p1

Sep 19, 2007
JROKER,

Thank you very much for the reply. I will be sure to follow-up on the student loan issue. I believe I have an "Unemployed" status in Canada due to me being over in Japan right now. Once again, I appreciate your reply. Thanks a bunch.

AY