+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would I be inadmissable due to my mental health?

Camerican

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado
Hello everyone,

I've received a diagnosis of Schizoaffective Bipolar-type disorder early this year, and my current diagnosis today stands on affective psychosis NOS and it's controlled under the use of my prescribed medications. I was never arrested or had a violent outbreak, but I've read that the medical exam is mandatory in order to immigrate, and I'm afraid if I'll be deemed inadmissable due to my medical condition. I don't have a history of substance abuse or threats about hurting other people. Regardless of this, would I be screened out?

Also, how do they calculate healthcare prices? They say if it costs 31,000ish over a course of 5 years I'd be deemed an excessive burden on the Canadian healthcare system. Prices in the States are outrageous, but I do have insurance that almost fully covers my pills (only $3). I'm also transgender and would be taking hormones (testosterone) during this time.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Camerican said:
Hello everyone,

I've received a diagnosis of Schizoaffective Bipolar-type disorder early this year, and my current diagnosis today stands on affective psychosis NOS and it's controlled under the use of my prescribed medications. I was never arrested or had a violent outbreak, but I've read that the medical exam is mandatory in order to immigrate, and I'm afraid if I'll be deemed inadmissable due to my medical condition. I don't have a history of substance abuse or threats about hurting other people. Regardless of this, would I be screened out?

Also, how do they calculate healthcare prices? They say if it costs 31,000ish over a course of 5 years I'd be deemed an excessive burden on the Canadian healthcare system. Prices in the States are outrageous, but I do have insurance that almost fully covers my pills (only $3). I'm also transgender and would be taking hormones (testosterone) during this time.

Thanks
Provincial health care normally doesn't even cover medication but sometimes they deny people based on those costs anyway because in case you become unable to work and end up on benefits, they will have to cover them. However, you say your medication is not expensive so they might be more likely to look into the likelihood of you becoming unfit to work because of your problems. As for being transgender, there are surgeries involved there too. If you've already had them, fine. If you didn't, you'll have to figure in that immigration might be looking at the cost of them too.

Camerican

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado
Leon said:
Provincial health care normally doesn't even cover medication but sometimes they deny people based on those costs anyway because in case you become unable to work and end up on benefits, they will have to cover them. However, you say your medication is not expensive so they might be more likely to look into the likelihood of you becoming unfit to work because of your problems. As for being transgender, there are surgeries involved there too. If you've already had them, fine. If you didn't, you'll have to figure in that immigration might be looking at the cost of them too.
That first part is good to know. I think I've read somewhere stating that I can opt-out of provincial health care and elect for a private insurance instead, if that might remedy the issue. The surgeries will be done in the States, all I have medically to worry about is my medication and hormones. As for the likelihood of becoming unfit to work, I've never been fired from a job nor had negative work evaluations---if that counts for anything. I'm actually pretty functional, it's just I don't want the label to bar me because of stigma when in actuality I'm a functional, safe human being.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Camerican said:
That first part is good to know. I think I've read somewhere stating that I can opt-out of provincial health care and elect for a private insurance instead.
All PRs are entitled to provincial health care coverage. So while you can claim you will opt out - this statement holds no water since there's no way the government of Canada can enforce this once you are a PR. Ultimately you need to prove the costs of your care will fall below the $6,500 annual threshold.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
It is unlikely that your illness would prevent you per say, however the cost may (right now it may be low but Canada will have to look at the fact that you currently have coverage for those costs but this coverage would stop with you moving to Canada. Therefore, it will look at the potential cost (hormones and mental illness medicine) to take care of your illness. If they reject your application it will be on that basis, not really on what type of illness and/or the fact that you are transgender.

Even though today the cost is low to you due to your coverage you would need to determine the actual cost of your medicine without coverage.

Camerican

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado
scylla said:
All PRs are entitled to provincial health care coverage. So while you can claim you will opt out - this statement holds no water since there's no way the government of Canada can enforce this once you are a PR. Ultimately you need to prove the costs of your care will fall below the $6,500 annual threshold.
Naheulbeuck said:
It is unlikely that your illness would prevent you per say, however the cost may (right now it may be low but Canada will have to look at the fact that you currently have coverage for those costs but this coverage would stop with you moving to Canada. Therefore, it will look at the potential cost (hormones and mental illness medicine) to take care of your illness. If they reject your application it will be on that basis, not really on what type of illness and/or the fact that you are transgender.

Even though today the cost is low to you due to your coverage you would need to determine the actual cost of your medicine without coverage.
That's true I haven't taken that into consideration. When Canada assesses the costs, do they assess the cause of medication from them or from what I'm paying in America? I would assume the latter, even off insurance. Hormones aren't terribly expensive, but my particular medication is outrageous without insurance. I could simply switch to a much more generic and fiscally responsible medication if it comes down to that. But good to know that this seems to be more of a financial concern than simply a screenout because of a label. I could figure the costs later.

Thanks for all the replies, I will admit that I'm not 100% certain how this will turn out as far as that financial assessment. There's also a concern of what if one year I had an urgent/emergency situation where I broke my leg for 6 months and that one year exceeds the limit? I'd hate to be ineligible because of things out of my control (for the most part).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canada will assess the costs based on the costs of the medication in Canada (not in the US). You will have to research the costs of your treatment in Canada. They will look at the total cost of your treatment (not the post-insurance cost).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Camerican said:
There's also a concern of what if one year I had an urgent/emergency situation where I broke my leg for 6 months and that one year exceeds the limit? I'd hate to be ineligible because of things out of my control (for the most part).
Once you are a PR you are entitled to use the system. Doesn't matter if you use $0 per year, $5K per year, or $5 million per year. The under $6,500 assessment annually only matters when you are applying for PR.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
scylla said:
Canada will assess the costs based on the costs of the medication in Canada (not in the US). You will have to research the costs of your treatment in Canada. They will look at the total cost of your treatment (not the post-insurance cost).
I will add that it doesn't have to be the cost of the exact medication you are using. If another medication is approved for this illness and costs less, they will likely (or you can argue for it) use that medication. You may want to contact an association regarding the particular illness you have and they may be able to help you determine the likely cost.

Dragonborn96

Sep 2, 2022
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Hello, would like to know update on your application with your illness, did it go smoothly?