+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would change of address results in change of office?

ycheng

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
Hey guys, I have submitted my citizenship application in Kitchener ON, but I have just moved to Toronto. I have just finished my test and I’m wondering if I update my address, will that results in an update of the processing office? I do not really want IRCC to take longer on my application due to transferring my application to another office. Besides, I heard the Scarborough office is pretty slow. Does anyone here have any insights? Much appreciated!

elliek999

Star Member
Apr 25, 2021
Hey guys, I have submitted my citizenship application in Kitchener ON, but I have just moved to Toronto. I have just finished my test and I’m wondering if I update my address, will that results in an update of the processing office? I do not really want IRCC to take longer on my application due to transferring my application to another office. Besides, I heard the Scarborough office is pretty slow. Does anyone here have any insights? Much appreciated!
Hi, I would definitely let them know your change of address, you could even phone them as it is quicker to update on the phone. As you have moved in the same province of Ontario, your processing office might stay the same. All the best :)

ycheng

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
Hi, I would definitely let them know your change of address, you could even phone them as it is quicker to update on the phone. As you have moved in the same province of Ontario, your processing office might stay the same. All the best :)
Hi, thanks for the reply first of all. my office right now at the Kitchener office (I can tell from the emails), but I thought any application applied in Toronto is processed at the Scarborough office, no?

is there any source saying that moving within the province would not change the processing office?

elliek999

Star Member
Apr 25, 2021
Hi, thanks for the reply first of all. my office right now at the Kitchener office (I can tell from the emails), but I thought any application applied in Toronto is processed at the Scarborough office, no?

is there any source saying that moving within the province would not change the processing office?
I'm not too sure, sorry. Hopefully, someone will comment who has more knowledge in this area.

Reactions: ycheng

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016

If your new address falls within the geographical location of another office, then YES your processing office will change and will result in a file transfer. That could potentially delay your application.

However, if you move within the same geographical boundaries of a particular visa office in which in you applied for citizenship, then your processing office will not change and no file transfer will occur. It will only be considered an advisory change.

Since you are moving from Kitchener to Toronto, your processing office will definitely change and will necessitate a file transfer.

You can see the information on the following link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/sending-applications-changes-address.html

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016

Also I'm not sure if you can withhold updating the address just so you can keep your file with Kitchener office and if there are any ramifications of it. This is because for your driving license, you MUST update to your new address within 6 days of moving. So if in their record, they are seeing a new address with regards to your driving license and your health card but still see the old address for your citizenship application, it could cause some sort of confusion in the officer's mind. I don't know if citizenship officers have access to your driving license/health card info or not but I'm just speculating here. I would suggest to update the address.

I had a change in address but it didn't change my processing office because my postal code still remained the same, so along with my driving license/health card, I also updated the address on my citizenship application.

Reactions: snoopyta