+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would cancer make my mom inadmissible to Canada?

elexis969

Jan 4, 2016
Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to get accepted to sponsor my parents this year but literally two weeks after we sent off our application my mom was rushed into surgery where we discovered she has cancer. She will have to have chemo and an additional surgery but we have not yet received a full treatment plan and won’t have one for another month. She will obviously stay in the UK while she is having treatment but my question is would this now make her inadmissible to Canada? She wouldn’t come to Canada unless she is given the all clear but there’s no way Canada would know that. If it is likely that she will be inadmissible would be able to potentially get the money back? We haven’t received our AOR yet (5 weeks since they got it) and i don’t want to risk being rejected and unable to apply again in the future if they reject her for being mid treatment. I’m really confused about our options, I’ve tried to call cic a few times but can’t get through - I’m not convinced they would be much help anyway.

Anyone else been in a similar position?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to get accepted to sponsor my parents this year but literally two weeks after we sent off our application my mom was rushed into surgery where we discovered she has cancer. She will have to have chemo and an additional surgery but we have not yet received a full treatment plan and won’t have one for another month. She will obviously stay in the UK while she is having treatment but my question is would this now make her inadmissible to Canada? She wouldn’t come to Canada unless she is given the all clear but there’s no way Canada would know that. If it is likely that she will be inadmissible would be able to potentially get the money back? We haven’t received our AOR yet (5 weeks since they got it) and i don’t want to risk being rejected and unable to apply again in the future if they reject her for being mid treatment. I’m really confused about our options, I’ve tried to call cic a few times but can’t get through - I’m not convinced they would be much help anyway.

Anyone else been in a similar position?

Thanks!
I'm sorry to hear about your mothers.

Unfortunately there's no black and white answer to your question. Whether CIC feels your mother is inadmissible depends on where her health stands at the time of the medical and what CIC feels the chances are of a relapse. One good piece of news is that CIC has recently increased the cap for inadmissibility.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am sorry to hear about your mother. If chemo is involved and surgery it would likely make her inadmissible due to cost. You can look up standard treatment for her cancer and look up the medication cost. Cancer is very tricky because some may require a quick excision while others need a much longer and multi-pronged approach. Not sure what the refund policy is or whether there is one?