+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would being physically in Canada facilitate my friend's hunt for work?

allaincc

Oct 5, 2008
My friend just got his US greencard; he's interested in migrating to Canada under the skilled workers program. He's having a hard time though in finding an employer to sponsor him, the moment they find out he needs sponsorship, they kind of back off. Now that he can legally go to Canada w/o the need for a visa, would it help if he goes there and start looking for a job? He works with special children and has more than 8yrs of experience.
I'd appreciate your response...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It would help if he's there. Always easier to find a job in person. He does not need sponsorship, he needs a temporary work permit.

allaincc

Oct 5, 2008
thanks BCguy and Leon.
how long does the processing for a temporary work permit take? how long would the permit be valid? and could it eventually lead
to permanent residency?
pardon all my questions...
thanks again...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The employer needs to get a labour market opinion to be allowed to hire a foreigner. That can take from a few weeks to a few months even depending on the situation. If he is from a visa exempt country, he can apply for a work permit at the border if he has the LMO. Otherwise, he has to apply at the embassy and usually it doesn't take too long to get the work permit once you have the LMO, couple of weeks.

A work permit is valid for the duration of the contract but no more than 2 years. If his job is classified as a skilled job, he can apply for permanent residency through a provincial nominee program with the help of his employer right away or after 2 years, extend the work permit and apply for permanent residency through Canadian experience class without the help of his employer.

If it is not classified as a skilled job, he normally would not qualify to apply for permanent residency unless he is doing certain listed jobs in BC or AB. On a low skill permit, after 2 years he would have to leave for 4 months before being allowed to apply for another low skill permit unless he could get a skilled job and change of work permit in the meantime or his employer can upgrade him to skilled.