+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would appreciate any advise regarding my wife and child.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So why did you advise him to apply for PR for the child?

Either way, they will admit children only if they have sufficient proof of citizenship. Whether the border officers will accept a birth certificate issued in another country or not depends... It is also questionable whether an airline will allow you to board your children on a flight to Canada with no proof of citizenship other than a foreign birth certificate...

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dony h said:
Bottom Line: U.S. and Canadian citizens age 15 and younger with parental consent will be allowed to cross the border at land and sea entry points with certified copies of birth certificates rather than passports.
Only into Canada. You'll still need a passport to enter the U.S.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dony h said:
Bottom Line: U.S. and Canadian citizens age 15 and younger with parental consent will be allowed to cross the border at land and sea entry points with certified copies of birth certificates rather than passports.
Bottom line what? This has absolutely no bearing on his situation since he isn't in the US, he's in the Philippines so he will not be crossing the border at land or sea.

If the scenario is, as has been mentioned as a possibility that he was born outside Canada and inherited his Canadian citizenship from a Canadian citizen parent(s), he can not pass citizenship to his daughter in which case he would have to sponsor both wife and child for PR.

In any other scenario, for example, he was born in Canada or he immigrated to Canada and is a naturalized citizen, he has passed on citizenship to his daughter and can not sponsor her for PR but instead has to apply for her certificate of citizenship but while he is waiting for that, he can get her a temporary Canadian passport.

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
Leon,

I have somewhat similar situation, I want your advise on this, please.

I'm a neuturalized Canadian citizen (I immigrated to Canada, as landed immigrant, then obtained my Canadian citizenship). Now, I am in the process of sponsoring my wife (A US green card holder). The process is complete, and she's awaiting her passport from visa office.

We also have a son, who was born in the US, and he's included in her PR application, but he doesn't need a PR or visa to enter Canada with my wife, according to Visa office. So, my son can inherit Canadian citizenship from me, by applying for a citizenship certificate, which I did already (And as for as I know, it'll take some 11 to 12 months to recieve it. It's been only 4 months now).

Now, here's my question. Do I need to apply for a temporary passport for my son who was born in the US, can inherit canadian citizenship through me, and has already applied for a canadian citizenship certificate? Will these proof be sufficient for my son to come with us to Canada? Will there be any issues. BTW, he has US passport/Birth certificate/SSC. Do I need a proof that I already applied for Canadian citisenship certificate for my son? How can I obtain it, if so? I only have the receipt that I paid the fee for citizenship certificate.

Please advise...

Thanks,

Toledo

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toledo said:
Leon,

I have somewhat similar situation, I want your advise on this, please.

I'm a neuturalized Canadian citizen (I immigrated to Canada, as landed immigrant, then obtained my Canadian citizenship). Now, I am in the process of sponsoring my wife (A US green card holder). The process is complete, and she's awaiting her passport from visa office.

We also have a son, who was born in the US, and he's included in her PR application, but he doesn't need a PR or visa to enter Canada with my wife, according to Visa office. So, my son can inherit Canadian citizenship from me, by applying for a citizenship certificate, which I did already (And as for as I know, it'll take some 11 to 12 months to recieve it. It's been only 4 months now).

Now, here's my question. Do I need to apply for a temporary passport for my son who was born in the US, can inherit canadian citizenship through me, and has already applied for a canadian citizenship certificate? Will these proof be sufficient for my son to come with us to Canada? Will there be any issues. BTW, he has US passport/Birth certificate/SSC. Do I need a proof that I already applied for Canadian citisenship certificate for my son? How can I obtain it, if so? I only have the receipt that I paid the fee for citizenship certificate.

Please advise...

Thanks,

Toledo
1. Were you a citizen at the time of your son's birth? If so then he is a citizen and you have to apply for proof of citizenship. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp Once you have evidence that you have applied for proof, then you can apply for a limited validity Canadian passport for the child. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should contact CIC or the border services to find out if they want you to get a temporary passport for him. You should contact the Canadian embassy in the US to find out what it takes to get a temporary passport. They should be able to tell you what you need. Maybe it is not a big deal to bring him in on his US passport but you never know. It's better to check these things beforehand than to find out at the border that you need some paper you don't have.

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
PMM,

Thanks for a quick turnarround. I was a Canadian Citizen when my son was born in the US. After few months, after when I applied for his US passport and I received his US passport, then I applied for his Canadian Citizenship certificate, which is 4 months now (And it'll take--I believe--some 11 to 12 months). I only have the receipt of the fee, which I paid online. I mailed it through the Consolate General office in the US. I don't know if that receipt by itself is a good enough proof that I applied for citizenship certificate.

So, I guess I am to find out (from either CIC or Visa office/Canadian embassy/Cponsulate how to apply for a temporary passport or if I need to at all) My son's 8 months old, BTW.

Leon,

Thanks alot for the advise. I guess, that's what I will do. Contact cosulate general/CIC for 'if I need to' and 'how to'.

Thanks again guys for help.

Toledo.

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
Leon/PMM,

I just wanted to mention the fact that I'd already asked the Buffalo visa office, whether to sent my son's passpot along with my wife's for visa, and they replied that my son is able to derive Canadian Citizenship through me "the father", therefore he does not need to be included on this application.

So, evenif the visa office says this, do you think that I still need to get a temporary passport for my son?

dony h

Nov 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Citizenship and Immigration Canada knows it is important to keep families who come from other countries to reunite in Canada; therefore, as a Canadian citizen you can sponsor your spouse and dependent child to become a permanent residents. If you keep this in mind when you select an appropriate form to start the process you can find life easier. Too many cooks spoil the soup.

dony h

Nov 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
magnum_pi said:
Do you happen to know if I do attempt to apply for a temporary visa for my wife that it will have a negative effect on the sponsorship application? I mean I would like to give the temporary visa a shot if so...
If you wish to sponsor your wife and child you are in fact applying for a permanent resident visa for each of them. If you decided to shoot for a temporary resident visa you are in reality shooting you foot. Can you see you may give the CIC a contraditory request?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC recognizes that people who have a PR application pending might still want to visit Canada in the meantime. It's called dual intent. To get a temporary visa, they still have to prove that they will leave Canada again when it expires.

In some countries, it is nearly impossible for a spouse of a Canadian to get a temporary visa to visit Canada because immigration just does not believe that they will not stay. If you want a temporary visa, you can try but there is no guarantee that you will get it.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Dony H,

Since you are obviously a complete beginner in regards to immigration matters, may I advise you to spend more time studying the field and learning about it before giving advice that is at best incorrect and at worst may be directly contrary to people's interest?

Thanks!

dony h said:
If you wish to sponsor your wife and child you are in fact applying for a permanent resident visa for each of them. If you decided to shoot for a temporary resident visa you are in reality shooting you foot. Can you see you may give the CIC a contraditory request?

magnum_pi

Dec 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

I went to the Canadian Embassy the other day and asked them how I should go about regarding my situation. I thought I'd post what they told me so it can help people in who maybe in a similar situation.

The advise they gave me is to apply for citizenship for my daughter. They said that when I complete the PR application for my wife and daughter as I have intended, then I would be referred to apply for citizenship in any case for my daughter as she is qualified for it. They said I should just do it as early as now because my daughter will have to go through a process of qualification. Once that is done then she can have a limited passport... i forgot what the exact word they used for the passport, but they didn't call it a temporary passport. Anyways they said that will take about 2 months and then we just wait for my wife's PR so all of us can move to our new home! I have prepared myself to hunker down for the wait while back in Canada starting this January. Thanks all again for your replies and I wish everyone happy holidays!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

magnum_pi said:
Hello Everyone,

I went to the Canadian Embassy the other day and asked them how I should go about regarding my situation. I thought I'd post what they told me so it can help people in who maybe in a similar situation.

The advise they gave me is to apply for citizenship for my daughter. They said that when I complete the PR application for my wife and daughter as I have intended, then I would be referred to apply for citizenship in any case for my daughter as she is qualified for it. They said I should just do it as early as now because my daughter will have to go through a process of qualification. Once that is done then she can have a limited passport... i forgot what the exact word they used for the passport, but they didn't call it a temporary passport. Anyways they said that will take about 2 months and then we just wait for my wife's PR so all of us can move to our new home! I have prepared myself to hunker down for the wait while back in Canada starting this January. Thanks all again for your replies and I wish everyone happy holidays!
did you bother to read the links that I gave you earlier, as to what exactly you have to do for your daughters citizenship?

PMM

magnum_pi

Dec 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi PMM,

I thought that was for toledo... anyways thanks!