+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worried about study permit application...

risingconcern

Oct 27, 2015
Hi All,

(Part of me feels like starting with, "Long time listener, first time caller" haha)

Here's the gist of my situation:

- Applied in paper for work permit extension back in July before it expired in August, however it was returned to me due to incompleteness so currently out-of-status (letter was dated October 15, but I didn't actually receive it until October 21), confirmed by CIC agent.

- Applied online for study permit October 19 (decision made due to employer having their LMIA rejected), but marked and paid for it as an initial study permit, not a restoration of status as at the time I hadn't yet received the work permit extension application back in the mail.

- For the curious, I've already submitted an Express Entry profile, but stuck at a painstaking 444 with no valid job offer or PN in sight...

So my question at this point is: what are the chances of my study permit being approved (assuming everything else with the application is sound), given that it was technically submitted while out-of-status (even though I didn't know this at the time of submission), and what are the most likely scenarios (good or bad) do you envision for my situation?

Any and all informed advice would be immensely appreciated.

Cheers,
Justin

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately the chances should be zero since you were out of status. Having said that, sometimes CIC makes mistakes - so maybe you'll be accidentally approved. I would be counting on a refusal and start planning accordingly.

risingconcern

Oct 27, 2015
Thank you for the response scylla, suppose that was about what I expected to hear... do you think there's any sense in trying to consult a lawyer about this? Also if anybody else has ever been in a similar situation and wouldn't mind sharing their experience, really any constructive suggestions would be welcomed.