+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worried About Misrepresentation

jour1

Nov 14, 2023
I feel like I'm overthinking things, but I just want an outsider's perspective.

I'm currently in Quebec as a visitor. I'll be leaving and returning to Quebec in a few weeks, at which point I will activate my working holiday permit that I was approved for earlier this year. When filling out the employment history for my working holiday visa application, I was detailed in including changes to my job title and work location. For the past ten years, I have worked for the same company, with only said job titles and locations changing. However, what I was not detailed about were my leaves of absences. I had one unpaid leave of absence of about four weeks when moving states a few years ago and a paid leave of absence of a little over a month a couple years ago for medical reasons. On top of that, I had a month and a half where I got paid not to work because of COVID in 2020. This was not treated as a leave of absence by the company. I was paid as normal, just under a different code. I didn't think about mentioning any of this because it asked for employment history, and at no point has my employment ended with the company over the last ten years.

I plan to re-apply for a second year of the Working Holiday program (since I doubt I can get a CSQ from Quebec during my first year), and I think I should include all of that information in the next application because I'm sure that information will eventually be expected when I fill out the personal history section of the federal permanent residence application. Also, I've mentioned all the periods of not working (including the COVID period) in my Declaration of Interest for Quebec immigration, since that application wants to know when I was actually working, not just when I was employed. I want the information that I give Quebec and the federal government to be the same.

With all that, my question is whether failing to include the leave of absence info in my Working Holiday application could come back to bite me if I'm honest about it later. It seems to me that I should be fine, since that information is not material to whether or not the Canadian government issues a Working Holiday visa, but I am naturally rather anxious and would like some reassurance on the matter. Also, if anyone thinks I should not include that info on a second Working Holiday application, I'd like to hear more about that as well.

Thanks, y'all!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I feel like I'm overthinking things, but I just want an outsider's perspective.

I'm currently in Quebec as a visitor. I'll be leaving and returning to Quebec in a few weeks, at which point I will activate my working holiday permit that I was approved for earlier this year. When filling out the employment history for my working holiday visa application, I was detailed in including changes to my job title and work location. For the past ten years, I have worked for the same company, with only said job titles and locations changing. However, what I was not detailed about were my leaves of absences. I had one unpaid leave of absence of about four weeks when moving states a few years ago and a paid leave of absence of a little over a month a couple years ago for medical reasons. On top of that, I had a month and a half where I got paid not to work because of COVID in 2020. This was not treated as a leave of absence by the company. I was paid as normal, just under a different code. I didn't think about mentioning any of this because it asked for employment history, and at no point has my employment ended with the company over the last ten years.

I plan to re-apply for a second year of the Working Holiday program (since I doubt I can get a CSQ from Quebec during my first year), and I think I should include all of that information in the next application because I'm sure that information will eventually be expected when I fill out the personal history section of the federal permanent residence application. Also, I've mentioned all the periods of not working (including the COVID period) in my Declaration of Interest for Quebec immigration, since that application wants to know when I was actually working, not just when I was employed. I want the information that I give Quebec and the federal government to be the same.

With all that, my question is whether failing to include the leave of absence info in my Working Holiday application could come back to bite me if I'm honest about it later. It seems to me that I should be fine, since that information is not material to whether or not the Canadian government issues a Working Holiday visa, but I am naturally rather anxious and would like some reassurance on the matter. Also, if anyone thinks I should not include that info on a second Working Holiday application, I'd like to hear more about that as well.

Thanks, y'all!
Given the short periods of time I would not go back and clarify.

jour1

Nov 14, 2023
Thank you for your response. Should I then just include this information on future applications and attach a letter of explanation?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your response. Should I then just include this information on future applications and attach a letter of explanation?
If it specifies any breaks in employment then so would mention it. If you are on sick leave for a short period of time and then return to your job I wouldn’t personally mention it when listing employment history.

jour1

Nov 14, 2023
If it specifies any breaks in employment then so would mention it. If you are on sick leave for a short period of time and then return to your job I wouldn’t personally mention it when listing employment history.
I read that when filling out work history for permanent residence, you should not include any absences beyond normal vacation time, so in my expression of interest for Quebec immigration, I did just that. I removed any extended leaves of absence. I feel like my work history with Quebec and with the federal government should align.