+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worried about application

YULpj

Star Member
May 14, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of planning to get married with my boyfriend however I’m worried about our application.

We have been in a long distance relationship since 2018 and plan to get married next week in his country. My parents will NOT attend the wedding since they don’t agree with my sexuality and also with the covid restrictions they would not have travelled during this time. I’m worried this will cause a problem when I apply to sponsor him, the IRCC will look at this as why didn’t you parents attend such a special event…

We are planning a small event with his family (just his mom and siblings) nothing big and I’m also worried that they may ask questions as too why there was no invitations sent out or why was there no reception etc…

Should I get the help of a lawyer sinceI feel my application is not straightforward ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of planning to get married with my boyfriend however I’m worried about our application.

We have been in a long distance relationship since 2018 and plan to get married next week in his country. My parents will NOT attend the wedding since they don’t agree with my sexuality and also with the covid restrictions they would not have travelled during this time. I’m worried this will cause a problem when I apply to sponsor him, the IRCC will look at this as why didn’t you parents attend such a special event…

We are planning a small event with his family (just his mom and siblings) nothing big and I’m also worried that they may ask questions as too why there was no invitations sent out or why was there no reception etc…

Should I get the help of a lawyer sinceI feel my application is not straightforward ?
No, you don't need a lawyer.

You will be by no means the first who had one set of parents who couldn't or didn't come. Some people don't have either set of parents present. It terms of the fact that it is smaller, that's extremely easily explained right now. Simply say you kept it small due to COVID and that your parents didn't attend since they don't support your relationship and sexuality.

twinmama15

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
I’m sure many marriages have taken place without parents there, especially in the last few years. My husband and I had no parents when we got married and it hasn’t affected his application at all :) you don’t need a lawyer for that, just write a note to explain your situation.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We have been in a long distance relationship since 2018 and plan to get married next week in his country. My parents will NOT attend the wedding since they don’t agree with my sexuality
Concur entirely with others so just small additional thoughts;
-long-distance relationship - but you have physically met and spent time with each other in those three years? (Perhaps more of an issue if mostly/entirely online.)
-small event with just friends and family fine in circumstances - but are some of your friends/acquaintances attending? Helps if it's mutual in this sense. If not, supplement with what you can showing 'your side' also aware of /on board with relationship from photos at other events or letters that they've met you both or however - 'your side' can be friends, extended family - whatever. Perhaps not critical (if your relationship has all been abroad) but helps; if it's just a small circle that approves abd are active socially with you, include them.
-As hinted at - context matters. You're not the first to have parents not wish to recognize relationship, either for same sex reasons or others. Just explain that briefly.

YULpj

Star Member
May 14, 2019
Ok thanks for reassuring me everyone :) I was reading on goggle how the IRCC really scrutinize the applications they receive and got worried for a second.

I have travelled may times (pre pandemic) To his country and we have done 2 trips together. I have many photographs as well

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

Major2710

Star Member
Dec 22, 2021
if you are clear and honest as to the reason why someone is not present at the wedding it should not be a reason of concern.
showing an active relationship if more important.
plus if you have family and friends vouch for your relationship and if its public that you are in a relation ( social media statuses), constant conversations, all these will help with your applications

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Agree with the others. We also didn't have both sides parents at our wedding. But we did a seperate dinner after we can travel to his side of the family. (pre-COVID time).
So don't worry about the wedding. Just write and explain the situation. It's pretty common during the pandemic.

YULpj

Star Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks again for the replies

My family or friends have not met him since his TRV to come visit Canada was denied when we had applied so can't really have people on my side vouch for us.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks again for the replies

My family or friends have not met him since his TRV to come visit Canada was denied when we had applied so can't really have people on my side vouch for us.
Well shouldn't be critical but good to beef up other parts of your app. Just go through the instructions carefully.