+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working with only SIN number

kyeno1

Mar 12, 2017
Are you able to move back to Canada after years of living in the U.S. and find work if your PR card, and Canadian Drivers license are expired, but you have a valid SIN card? Plan is to cross the border and live for 2+ years in order to then renew expired PR card, but I'm worried about getting work without a valid Canadian ID.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Are you able to move back to Canada after years of living in the U.S. and find work if your PR card, and Canadian Drivers license are expired, but you have a valid SIN card? Plan is to cross the border and live for 2+ years in order to then renew expired PR card, but I'm worried about getting work without a valid Canadian ID.
Your SIN will probably be dormant and you will need to go to Service Canada to reactivate it first. In theory, that's all that you need.

Last edited:

kyeno1

Mar 12, 2017
Thanks for the response,

How do I determine if the SIN number is dormant, via Service Canada? And will I be able to activate it even with an expired PR card and expired drivers license? And it does state on my SIN card that it does not authorize me to work in CA, is that a problem?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Without valid ID, you might run into issues. You might be able to use your passport as one form of ID, but in a lot of cases where you are dealing with personal information, government agencies require 2 pieces of ID. You might want to call a Service Canada office and confirm what they require.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for the response,

How do I determine if the SIN number is dormant, via Service Canada? And will I be able to activate it even with an expired PR card and expired drivers license? And it does state on my SIN card that it does not authorize me to work in CA, is that a problem?
I believe that it becomes dormant after 5 years. Service Canada is the correct place to go to a) check and b) address this. Your SIN card is not an employment authorisation and if you apply for a job with a dormant SIN, the employer will be told it's invalid when they check it. This is a fraud prevention process.

Last edited:

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I am not sure, but aren't you concerned about not being able to enter Canada as a PR if you haven't maintained residency obligation. How long ago did you leave Canada?