+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working while studying

microx

Jan 29, 2012
Hi,

I'm looking for advice regarding the possibility of having a part-time job while studying in Canada with respect to visa requirements in a rather specific situation. Let me give you more details.

I'm a student from Slovakia trying to go to Canada for 1 year as an exchange student. I have a part-time job in the Czech Republic (where I study), which I would like to keep while I'm in Canada. Now let's assume the company does not have a problem with that and I get accepted to the university in Canada. I have no experience with getting visa and I have the following questions:

1, The university requires me to get a study permit, which does not allow you to work in Canada (unless it's on campus etc.) if I understand it correctly. Is it possible to get a work permit together with the study permit so that you can have a job while studying? Is it difficult to get both? Even if I managed to get them, could the university have a problem with that?

2, Let's say the company I work for would allow me to continue working remotely without changing my contract. Do I need a work permit in this situation at all? I mean I wouldn't be looking for a job in Canada and basically nothing would change compared to what I'm doing now, except I would work permanently from home. My employer has nothing to do with Canada. So technically nobody should care where I am so I shouldn't be required to have a work permit while I'm in Canada, right?

3, Let's say the company would require me to change my contract and become an external contractor. Does it affect any of the above?

Any kind of help is more than welcome, if you have details specific to the Czech Republic or Slovakia, even better. Any experience is great, but I would be particularly happy if you could support your arguments with links to sources I can rely on, since I really need to be sure this can work out. Or do you maybe know where I should address these questions?

Thanks.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
microx said:
Hi,

I'm looking for advice regarding the possibility of having a part-time job while studying in Canada with respect to visa requirements in a rather specific situation. Let me give you more details.

I'm a student from Slovakia trying to go to Canada for 1 year as an exchange student. I have a part-time job in the Czech Republic (where I study), which I would like to keep while I'm in Canada. Now let's assume the company does not have a problem with that and I get accepted to the university in Canada. I have no experience with getting visa and I have the following questions:

1, The university requires me to get a study permit, which does not allow you to work in Canada (unless it's on campus etc.) if I understand it correctly. Is it possible to get a work permit together with the study permit so that you can have a job while studying? Is it difficult to get both? Even if I managed to get them, could the university have a problem with that?

2, Let's say the company I work for would allow me to continue working remotely without changing my contract. Do I need a work permit in this situation at all? I mean I wouldn't be looking for a job in Canada and basically nothing would change compared to what I'm doing now, except I would work permanently from home. My employer has nothing to do with Canada. So technically nobody should care where I am so I shouldn't be required to have a work permit while I'm in Canada, right?

3, Let's say the company would require me to change my contract and become an external contractor. Does it affect any of the above?

Any kind of help is more than welcome, if you have details specific to the Czech Republic or Slovakia, even better. Any experience is great, but I would be particularly happy if you could support your arguments with links to sources I can rely on, since I really need to be sure this can work out. Or do you maybe know where I should address these questions?

Thanks.
Hi,

1. You need work permit to work in Canada.
2. As an 'exchange student', you are NOT eligible to apply for an Off-campus work permit. As an exchange student, you are eligible to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit ONLY IF you graduate (with final transcripts/degree) from a recognized school in Canada (only for the length of time you complete in Canada as an exchange student).

microx

Jan 29, 2012
Hi enfield,

thanks, that helped a lot. But the question is if the situation described in 2 is considered "work in Canada". I mean I would only telecommute/work remotely for a foreign company which is not connected to Canada in any way. Are you sure I need a work permit for this?

And let's take a slightly different example - I'd go to Canada for an exchange for 1 semester only. I assume I wouldn't need any study permit in that case (I'd be visiting for less than 6 months and visa is not required for my country in that case). Can I continue working remotely for my current employer (foreign company) without a work permit? Or do I need one? Could I get one since I wouldn't have a study permit in this case?

Thanks.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
microx said:
Hi enfield,

thanks, that helped a lot. But the question is if the situation described in 2 is considered "work in Canada". I mean I would only telecommute/work remotely for a foreign company which is not connected to Canada in any way. Are you sure I need a work permit for this?

And let's take a slightly different example - I'd go to Canada for an exchange for 1 semester only. I assume I wouldn't need any study permit in that case (I'd be visiting for less than 6 months and visa is not required for my country in that case). Can I continue working remotely for my current employer (foreign company) without a work permit? Or do I need one? Could I get one since I wouldn't have a study permit in this case?

Thanks.
Hi,

1. Second time, you need a work permit to work in Canada.
2. Jobs that do not require a
work permit in Canada;
www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-nopermit.asp

*If you have to work remotely, online, by way of telecommunication (and for less thn 6 months) for a company outside Canada, I guess you are smart enough to handle things without a work permit.