+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working while sponsorship is in progress

closer

Sep 2, 2009
Hello all,
I am about to submit my sponsorship( spouse) application this October and i was just wondering about this. . .

Does anybody know if it is possible for my wife to work in Canada while an outland sponsorhip is in progress?

Or will it only jeopardize and delay our application?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

closer said:
Hello all,
I am about to submit my sponsorship( spouse) application this October and i was just wondering about this. . .

Does anybody know if it is possible for my wife to work in Canada while an outland sponsorhip is in progress?

Or will it only jeopardize and delay our application?

Thanks
Only if s/he has a valid work permit. No effect on the application.

PMM

midwifemia

Sep 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/12/2009
File Transfer...
25/01/2010
Med's Done....
27/10/2009
Passport Req..
08/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
26/04/2010
LANDED..........
01/05/2010
I am also about to apply with my Canadian boyfriend as sponsor, also an outland application (I'm from the UK), and also wish to work during the waiting period, so what would be the best route to do this? If he is a Canadian citizen, am I eligible to apply for an open work permit along with my PR application? Or if I go over there on a visitor's visa and try to find work, can I apply for a temporary work permit then?

Mia

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you apply outland, you don't get an open work permit because the processing time is relatively short. Applying outland, approving him as a sponsor will take 7 weeks and after that an average 4 months in London and then you have your PR. If you apply inland, you could apply for an open work permit but best case scenario will not get this work permit until 6-7 months and PR much later as well as there are other problems with inland.

You can look for a job and try to apply for a temporary work permit. The employer needs to apply for a labour market opinion to prove they tried to advertise the job and if you get the labour market opinion, you can go to the border with your $150 and apply for your work permit. I've heard that getting a labour market opinion takes around 6 weeks.