+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working visa, ok. What about the cars?

T33

Jun 25, 2011
Hi I am a US citizen coming in to Canada for work, T23 visa. Bringing my wife and daughter.
I have two financed vehicles.
Can I bring both cars, even if only temporarily (30 days?) without showing more than what a normal visitor would show? Registration, drivers license, insurance...(but no title or no letter from lender).
I can eventually find solutions to deal with the vehicles (such as paying them off or refinancing them in Canada) as they have a US lien and thus no title, but I am going to Canada in a couple weeks and need to bring our cars now, asap, and deal with issues related to their import later.
Even though I'll be applying for my visa at the border crossing, can I enter the vehicles as a visitor would?
Thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

T33 said:
Hi I am a US citizen coming in to Canada for work, T23 visa. Bringing my wife and daughter.
I have two financed vehicles.
Can I bring both cars, even if only temporarily (30 days?) without showing more than what a normal visitor would show? Registration, drivers license, insurance...(but no title or no letter from lender).
I can eventually find solutions to deal with the vehicles (such as paying them off or refinancing them in Canada) as they have a US lien and thus no title, but I am going to Canada in a couple weeks and need to bring our cars now, asap, and deal with issues related to their import later.
Even though I'll be applying for my visa at the border crossing, can I enter the vehicles as a visitor would?
Thank you!
As long as your work permit is for less than 3 years you are not required to import the vehicles.

T33

Jun 25, 2011
Hi pmm,
Thank you very much for your response. This is very helpful and very promising. I will make sure my visa does not go beyond the three year period you refer to.
Aside from registration, drivers license and proof of insurance that covers me in Canada, what else do I need (regarding the vehicles only)?
Thank you very much!
T.

Edit to add one more question:
My new employer said my visa will be processed with the documentation we are preparing, AT the border crossing (the day we drive thru...with cars, dog, family)... All done at the border?. I just want to confirm this as I can not delay my entry or work. There's no "application review period"? My documents are very solid and are very clear and organized.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

T33 said:
Hi pmm,
Thank you very much for your response. This is very helpful and very promising. I will make sure my visa does not go beyond the three year period you refer to.
Aside from registration, drivers license and proof of insurance that covers me in Canada, what else do I need (regarding the vehicles only)?
Thank you very much!
T.

Edit to add one more question:
My new employer said my visa will be processed with the documentation we are preparing, AT the border crossing (the day we drive thru...with cars, dog, family)... All done at the border?. I just want to confirm this as I can not delay my entry or work. There's no "application review period"? My documents are very solid and are very clear and organized.
You require proof that you qualify for the TN visa and the job meets the requirements. If they do, then the Work Permit will be issued at the border.

T33

Jun 25, 2011
Thanks PMM. I feel my paperwork is in order and my company has done a great job of providing proof.
My true concern for now, because of the short timing, had to do with the vehicles, but it sounds like we'll be ok.
Thank you.
T.

T33

Jun 25, 2011
Hi
I have another question. I apologize, but want to be sure I'm covered.
Regarding the vehicles again..So will I be presumed by immigration to be driving the cars with US plates, registration and insurance until my work is done in Canada? I honestly don't know how long I'll be in Canada. It could be 3 months or it could be 3 years. I just want to be sure I'm clear to go without complications.
Also, is the visa and car entry done all at once in one location...what is the sequence of the process and is it in different locations? Just trying to understand what I'll need. Thank you.
T