+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working visa and Leaving Canada

ToddRowdy

Jan 28, 2019
This morning I received my AOR for PR application. My work visa is over in 5 weeks. Am I able to work still before I hear about my work permit extension?
Do I need anything extra to actually stay in the country given that my documents say I need to leave by a certain date.
Also we were planning on a trip back to Australia during this time, just how not recommended is this?
Appreciate any advice!
Thanks.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
This morning I received my AOR for PR application. My work visa is over in 5 weeks. Am I able to work still before I hear about my work permit extension?
Do I need anything extra to actually stay in the country given that my documents say I need to leave by a certain date.
Also we were planning on a trip back to Australia during this time, just how not recommended is this?
Appreciate any advice!
Thanks.
If you're on IEC and it expires before you get your work permit you cannot continue working.

ToddRowdy

Jan 28, 2019
If you're on IEC and it expires before you get your work permit you cannot continue working.
Ok thanks! Do you know, is it recommended to stay in the country not working until I get it? Or is it safe to leave for a couple months then return?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Ok thanks! Do you know, is it recommended to stay in the country not working until I get it? Or is it safe to leave for a couple months then return?
It's your call, personally, I wouldn't. Pending you meet admissibility requirements there should be no issue, but if you're denied entry your application will be abandoned. Without an OWP in hand it feels like there isn't a leg to stand on - It is a personal choice though, and a risk you'd have to assess for yourself.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Been wondering similar myself. I was on an IEC, and it's been hard waiting for an OWP, but to be honest it's gone faster than I thought it would. Would you say it's likely someone with an OWP would stand a high chance of re-entering if they leave the country before receiving PR? I've read mixed things, but I understand that ultimately it's a risk we'd have to assess. I want to go home for a week and see my family otherwise by the time I've got PR it's heading toward 2 years since I've seen them. I've heard it's easier if you have a letter of employment or similar.

ToddRowdy

Jan 28, 2019
Ok yeah that makes sense.
The thing is in my situation, my Canadian wife is on maternity leave with our new baby so if I can't work we will really struggle. If we went back to Australia for a little while we would be much more comfortable financially.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Ok yeah that makes sense.
The thing is in my situation, my Canadian wife is on maternity leave with our new baby so if I can't work we will really struggle. If we went back to Australia for a little while we would be much more comfortable financially.
If you applied inland one of the requirements is to remain in Canada. While short trips are ok you can't just move back to Australia temporarily while waiting for OWP on an inland application.

ToddRowdy

Jan 28, 2019
If you applied inland one of the requirements is to remain in Canada. While short trips are ok you can't just move back to Australia temporarily while waiting for OWP on an inland application.
Thanks. Would you have any advice my situation?
Paying rent, bills and baby costs without an income in the mean time.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Withdraw, apply outland, move back to Australia where you can work. It's really the only viable solution outside of waiting for OWP.

ToddRowdy

Jan 28, 2019
Dang. Ok thanks again.
If I manage to stay here while I wait, is there any temp visa I need to obtain before mine runs out?

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
I've been able to do some freelance 3D design work for companies back in the UK. You aren't allowed to earn from the Canadian economy without a permit, but it's not an issue earning from your native country as far as I can tell. Just basically getting paid for a hobby in my free time. Made the time a bit easier.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Dang. Ok thanks again.
If I manage to stay here while I wait, is there any temp visa I need to obtain before mine runs out?
The OWP gives you implied status but if it is returned and your IEC is expired you will be out of status. People tend to extend their stay as a visitor if their existing status is close to expiring and they haven't heard yet about their OWP. Not all do this, it's really a precaution in the event your OWP app is returned and you find yourself out of status.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
The OWP gives you implied status but if it is returned and your IEC is expired you will be out of status. People tend to extend their stay as a visitor if their existing status is close to expiring and they haven't heard yet about their OWP. Not all do this, it's really a precaution in the event your OWP app is returned and you find yourself out of status.
That's the route I took. Took 3 months to get visitor status approved, where I have heard it should take under a month. I was granted a 6 months visitor status. Just good to cover any bases.

ToddRowdy

Jan 28, 2019
Ok no worries.
So my best bet is to get by without working til I get my new OWP.
THEN (sorry for all the questions) would it be safer to leave for a trip back once I have my OWP and am waiting for PR?
Or still strongly advised to just stay put til everything is finished?

ToddRowdy

Jan 28, 2019
Also, (just trying to figure out how to survive) what is the approximate time for the OWP extension? I heard 4 months is that about right?