+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working through UK limited company

crabbit

Mar 21, 2016
My Canadian fiancé and I have just sent off our inland application package. She's sponsoring me as her common-law spouse and we have included my application for an open work permit.

Although I take it with a pinch of salt, the CIC website currently says that it's an 8 week wait for my work permit to be processed, so I've started applying for jobs already. Some employers can take months to get from posting the ad to actually employing someone so I though I'd get going. I applied for a job yesterday and have already had a call back inviting me for an interview which is great, but perhaps a little premature.

My small and rapidly diminishing income comes from freelance work I perform for clients in the UK. I do that via a UK based limited company. So my clients pay my company and my company pays me. I'm lucky because it's meant that over the last while I've been able to have an income while being with my fianceé in Canada.

My question is; how would it be viewed by CIC if I were to take on a Canadian client though my UK company? So the Canadian client would pay my UK company in GBP, which would pay me in GBP, so I could transfer the money back to myself in CAD. I'd like to be able to offer this potential employer the chance to take me on for the probationary period of 90 days without waiting for my work permit.

I'm guessing that at best it's a very grey area, but more probably a way to get myself into some serious trouble.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My Canadian fiancé and I have just sent off our inland application package. She's sponsoring me as her common-law spouse and we have included my application for an open work permit.

Although I take it with a pinch of salt, the CIC website currently says that it's an 8 week wait for my work permit to be processed, so I've started applying for jobs already. Some employers can take months to get from posting the ad to actually employing someone so I though I'd get going. I applied for a job yesterday and have already had a call back inviting me for an interview which is great, but perhaps a little premature.

My small and rapidly diminishing income comes from freelance work I perform for clients in the UK. I do that via a UK based limited company. So my clients pay my company and my company pays me. I'm lucky because it's meant that over the last while I've been able to have an income while being with my fianceé in Canada.

My question is; how would it be viewed by CIC if I were to take on a Canadian client though my UK company? So the Canadian client would pay my UK company in GBP, which would pay me in GBP, so I could transfer the money back to myself in CAD. I'd like to be able to offer this potential employer the chance to take me on for the probationary period of 90 days without waiting for my work permit.

I'm guessing that at best it's a very grey area, but more probably a way to get myself into some serious trouble.
It's not even a grey area. It would be completely illegal. No Canadian clients allowed if you do not have a Canadian work permit.

Also, the inland OWP doesn't follow the standard processing time. The stated processing time for it is 4 months, though many people receive it sooner than that.

crabbit

Mar 21, 2016
It's not even a grey area. It would be completely illegal. No Canadian clients allowed if you do not have a Canadian work permit.

Also, the inland OWP doesn't follow the standard processing time. The stated processing time for it is 4 months, though many people receive it sooner than that.
Thank you for the reply. I really did think as much.

I'm disappointed to hear about the OWP processing time though. I was really hoping to get working sooner than that. I will keep on with the job hunting though. These things can be incredibly drawn out.