+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working remotely with an H1B visa

Discussion in 'H-1B Holders in the U.S.' started by Natasha011988, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Need urgent help -
    I am currently employed by Infosys, an India based company and have been working for the last 5 years in the US on an H1B. I received my PR a couple of months ago and my company has agreed that I can work for sometime remotely from Canada.

I have a few questions regarding this
    --> Do I have to be employed by Infosys Canada or can I stay as an employee of Infosys India
    --> Can I work remotely and get paid in USD or do I need to have them pay me in CAD
    --> What are the things I need to take care of in such a situation (Heard about paying tax in both t

3. I think you can ask Infosys to move you to their Canada office. The main question is, are they fine with allowing you to work from Canada office for the same client or are you joining a new project/client?

I am not sure if Infosys will allow you to receive pay in USD. Did you check with your HR? I think they might just give you pay in CAD which will be better.

4. 1. To be present in Canada as a PR, there is no condition where your employment or salary is. You just have to file your taxes from the country you earn and then file it in Canada (not sure if India tax can be claimed which you can research. I know that US taxes can be shown in Canadian returns as taxes paid).
    2. Like #1, you can earn in any currency.
    3. Already explained in #1.

5. Ask about immigration not about terms of your employment. Your employer may pay you in Indian currency but that has nothing to do with your PR or it’s obligations.

6. I have friends who have worked on H1B being a PR of Canada.