+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working remotely through the internet while visiting Canadian girlfriend. What documents to bring?

guitaro

Oct 5, 2018
Both.

The bank statements would show you have a good financial situation to return to Germany besides indicating the rent transfers
How many rent payment containing bank statements should I bring? I can print them from my bank's website would that be enough or should I get them from my bank directly?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
How many rent payment containing bank statements should I bring? I can print them from my bank's website would that be enough or should I get them from my bank directly?
Statements for the last 2-3 months would suffice. You can print them off from your bank's website.

The rent agreement and the bank statements would help to some extent. I would still recommend you postpone your visit by some months + keep your visit to only a couple of weeks else it might seem like you are working illegally when you visit

guitaro

Oct 5, 2018
Statements for the last 2-3 months would suffice. You can print them off from your bank's website.

The rent agreement and the bank statements would help to some extent. I would still recommend you postpone your visit by some months + keep your visit to only a couple of weeks else it might seem like you are working illegally when you visit

Wouldn't it be better to bring a letter from my employer stating that I'm working thruogh the internet for them in Canada during that time then? My employer has no Canadian customers and I will be payed in Germany like I'm payed now.
I do not intent to work illegaly or do something else illegal. I just want to spend Halloween, my birthday and Christmas with my girlfriend.
She can't visit me because her passport expired two years ago and she lost her birth certificate. She moved to Nova Scotia 1.5 years ago and the only guarantor for a new birth certificate and passport there is is her aunt. It's hard to get a hold of her because only her dad knows her aunt's phone number and he is travelling almost all the time.

My girlfriend also wants to call CBSA or CIC and ask them what documents to bring in my case. Is that a bad idea?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wouldn't it be better to bring a letter from my employer stating that I'm working thruogh the internet for them in Canada during that time then?
As the officer went through your phone and baggage on your previous visit. it seems he was checking to see whether you intend to work illegally during your visit.

An employment letter would carry weight only when it is supported by payslips and bank statements to prove you are indeed earning a salary in Germany.... and you have not taken a sabbatical/time off from work/an unpaid break from work.

My girlfriend also wants to call CBSA or CIC and ask them what documents to bring in my case. Is that a bad idea?
CIC call centre agents aren't known to give the best of advice most times. But do feel free to call them

guitaro

Oct 5, 2018
As the officer went through your phone and baggage on your previous visit. it seems he was checking to see whether you intend to work illegally during your visit.

An employment letter would carry weight only when it is supported by payslips and bank statements to prove you are indeed earning a salary in Germany.... and you have not taken a sabbatical/time off from work/an unpaid break from work.

CIC call centre agents aren't known to give the best of advice most times. But do feel free to call them

My bank statements include my earnings and I have payslips I could get translated. Last time the officer asked me I was on vacation. This time I would have to say that I would be working through the internet. He would find evidence on my laptop if he decided to go through it. Last time he didn't take a look at it. He told me he had to go through my phone to check if the story about staying at my girlfriend's was true.

According to the definition of work on the CIC's website working through the internet for a foreign company that has no Canadian emploees and no Canadian customers is not considered work.

Or would it be best to delete everything related to work on my laptop and then download everything I need later? And telling the officer I'm on vacation?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
According to the definition of work on the CIC's website working through the internet for a foreign company that has no Canadian emploees and no Canadian customers is not considered work.
That's correct. However, you've already been flagged in the system which makes it highly possible that your next entry may not be smooth and easy. Or maybe you'll just be waived through. Hard to say what could happen. It would depend on the officer you meet.

Or would it be best to delete everything related to work on my laptop and then download everything I need later? And telling the officer I'm on vacation?
Regardless, you would want to bring evidence of how you plan to support your visit financially + ties to Germany (that's where your employment, payslips, bank statement et al factor in) + a return ticket

guitaro

Oct 5, 2018
That's correct. However, you've already been flagged in the system which makes it highly possible that your next entry may not be smooth and easy. Or maybe you'll just be waived through. Hard to say what could happen. It would depend on the officer you meet.

Regardless, you would want to bring evidence of how you plan to support your visit financially + ties to Germany (that's where your employment, payslips, bank statement et al factor in) + a return ticket
I will bring $2000 in cash, my credit card, my plane ticket back to Germany, proof of renting my apartment, and bank statements. Also my girlfriend can provide for me, which I can't proof, though.

So, should I also bring a letter from my employer that I will still be employed after my stay from October to January and translated payment slips?

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I will bring $2000 in cash, my credit card, my plane ticket back to Germany, proof of renting my apartment, and bank statements. Also my girlfriend can provide for me, which I can't proof, though.
An unofficial guide: CAD 1,000 per week of stay

So, should I also bring a letter from my employer that I will still be employed after my stay from October to January and translated payment slips?
Yes + bank statements

guitaro

Oct 5, 2018
An unofficial guide: CAD 1,000 per week of stay

Yes + bank statements

I changed plans and I will only go for two weeks on vacation. So I will still need all those documents? The bank statements will have my payment for my health insurance for the longer stay in them. Will this be problematic?

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I changed plans and I will only go for two weeks on vacation. So I will still need all those documents? The bank statements will have my payment for my health insurance for the longer stay in them. Will this be problematic?
That sounds like a better plan.

Yes, you must bring the suggested evidence for any entry just in case you're asked.

Can you get your health insurance changed/maybe get a refund?

guitaro

Oct 5, 2018
That sounds like a better plan.

Yes, you must bring the suggested evidence for any entry just in case you're asked.

Can you get your health insurance changed/maybe get a refund?
I will get a refund but I can't tell how long that is going to take and my translator will be on vacation herself from October 18.
If there is no proof of the refund will they ask me about that specific entry?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I will get a refund but I can't tell how long that is going to take and my translator will be on vacation herself from October 18.
If there is no proof of the refund will they ask me about that specific entry?
The officer may not scrutinize your bank statement for that insurance entry.

I'm guessing you're going to have to prove you're genuinely employed in Germany and you will not work illegally + you can financially support your visit (CAD 2,000 is quite inadequate) + your return ticket (not 77 days later)

guitaro

Oct 5, 2018
The officer may not scrutinize your bank statement for that insurance entry.

I'm guessing you're going to have to prove you're genuinely employed in Germany and you will not work illegally + you can financially support your visit (CAD 2,000 is quite inadequate) + your return ticket (not 77 days later)

I plan to visit my girlfriend for 19 days while on vacation. I won't bring a computer with me, just my cellphone.

I will bring the following documents as proof of my intent to leave after those 19 days:

- Plane ticket back
- $2,000 cash
- credit card
- bank statements
- payslips (supported by my bank statements)
- proof of rent (supported by my bank statements)
- proof of health insurance
- letter from my employer stating that I am on vacation on these days and that I will be expected back after those 19 days

What else should that letter from my employer say?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I will bring the following documents as proof of my intent to leave after those 19 days:

- Plane ticket back
- $2,000 cash
- credit card
- bank statements
- payslips (supported by my bank statements)
- proof of rent (supported by my bank statements)
- proof of health insurance
- letter from my employer stating that I am on vacation on these days and that I will be expected back after those 19 days

What else should that letter from my employer say?
Sounds good.

The letter from your employer must say you will have your job when you return.

Also, do bring a couple of work-related commitments you must return to after your visit. For example, any important meetings/training programs scheduled, personal/work-related bookings/travel plans after your Canada visit, any personal commitments.... each one with evidence (just in case you're asked)