+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working remotely on a closed permit during COVID

Mlongen

Jul 30, 2020
Hello
I am on a closed work permit until end of 2021 (I have been working with it since December 2019) and my office has moved to remote work till end of year. I got my permit through LMIA. My permit does NOT have a clause specifying that I need to work at a specified location, but it does have Toronto as my employment location

I want to work remotely from my home country to be closer to my fam until we resume normal office activities, but my concern is having a hard time re-entering the country because I might be there for up to 5 months.

Do any of you guys have any information/experience that could help me?

Thank you so much

• Angry
Reactions: mpsqra

robkin

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
United States
The work permit is only for working inside of Canada, and I am pretty sure you can only work inside of Canada from the location specified in your work permit unless the permit specifically states, "Authorized to work across Canada as designated by employer."

As for re-entering the country I think that's pretty hard to predict at this point in time, since re-entry is never "guaranteed" on a work permit. If you are thinking about re-entering post COVID then I would guess there would be no problem. If you are entering still during COVID probably you at least need a letter from your employer saying the job is still available to be safe.

I should add though that if you are looking to qualify for express entry through CEC you have to be physically present in Canada while working.

Reactions: canuck78

Mlongen

Jul 30, 2020
Thank you for repliying robkin! I have been trying to contact IRCC with this question with no luck so far. I am indeed looking to qualify to express entry through CEC, so I'm guessing my trip is not going to happen :(

Reactions: canuck78

danilorniepes

Dec 20, 2017
With regards to working remotely, let say person with WP allowed to enter Canada and from the very first day he is on quarantine can he immediately work? works means remotely for 2 weeks while waiting for his 14 days quarantine to complete?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
With regards to working remotely, let say person with WP allowed to enter Canada and from the very first day he is on quarantine can he immediately work? works means remotely for 2 weeks while waiting for his 14 days quarantine to complete?
Yes you can work while in quarantine if working remotely. Assume you are trying to visit your family. There is a big risk that you may get stuck in another country if you go away. You need to plan for that potential. It is a lot to risk although I understand the risk. You could also get sick.