+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Remotely From India for a Canada based company for 3-4 months as a Canada PR

Ash_1917

Star Member
May 16, 2018
Hi guys!

I recieved my PR card last year! I just wanted to know if it's okay to work remotely from India for a Canada-based company for a few months before moving there. And if it's possible what are the possible tax obligations that I should be prepared for?

Thank you!

Ash_1917

Star Member
May 16, 2018
You can do it, but it won't count toward your residency obligation.
Thank you! I already knew that working remotely won’t count towards my PR. But due to the current pandemic, I might not be able to move before next july. I just thought it might be a good idea to atleast start applying in Canada and work remotely for a couple of months before moving there.

Abhinandhan7

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Thank you! I already knew that working remotely won’t count towards my PR. But due to the current pandemic, I might not be able to move before next july. I just thought it might be a good idea to atleast start applying in Canada and work remotely for a couple of months before moving there.
Hi, did you get any clarification on this? I am also on a similar boat. I will probably be in India for few more months and been here since March 2020. Will that cause issues with taxes or PR status? I got my PR on March 2018 and been in Canada for almost 2 years physically. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, did you get any clarification on this? I am also on a similar boat. I will probably be in India for few more months and been here since March 2020. Will that cause issues with taxes or PR status? I got my PR on March 2018 and been in Canada for almost 2 years physically. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
How long will you be out of Canada this year? What province do you live in? Do you have children and are they with you?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Province is Ontario. I came to india on March 2020 and planning to in India till early 2021. (Jan / Feb 2021)
Depending on what you left in Canada you may no longer be a resident for tax purposes and that would influence how you get paid and how your employer pays you. If you have any doubts would ask CRA and they can tell you if you are a resident or non-resident for tax purposes.