Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
That's why I decided to move to Canada. The system here sucks big time. Treats you as though you are an illegal immigrant even after spending more than a decade here.
Yes i agree on the frustration after spending a decade. Mine decade and half. Thats why most here have opted for north. Will see how things work out.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
Yes i agree on the frustration after spending a decade. Mine decade and half. Thats why most here have opted for north. Will see how things work out.
  1. What do you mean by North? I guess in your case, you are able to travel back and forth but I don't have that luxury.
  2. Also, to do the initial landing, other than Passport, CoPR documents and Goods accompanying and to follow forms, would I need anything else?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
  1. What do you mean by North? I guess in your case, you are able to travel back and forth but I don't have that luxury.
  2. Also, to do the initial landing, other than Passport, CoPR documents and Goods accompanying and to follow forms, would I need anything else?
1. He just meant choosing Canada over USA.
2. No, that's fine. Rarely people are asked for proof of funds.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
For those who are working from Canada and coming to US once a month/occasionally, what are you being asked at the POE. My employer keep on saying that commuting to US once a month on B-1 will raise flags at CBP. I want to understand what flags does it raise when I am doing everything as per law?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
For those who are working from Canada and coming to US once a month/occasionally, what are you being asked at the POE. My employer keep on saying that commuting to US once a month on B-1 will raise flags at CBP. I want to understand what flags does it raise when I am doing everything as per law?
Most of them here are doing this on H1. I'm yet to a single person doing this on B1 here. H1 holders might have different type of scrutiny than B1, so their experiences won't be of much help for you.

If you keep your visits really short.. like a day or two, you definitely won't have any issues I believe.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
Most of them here are doing this on H1. I'm yet to a single person doing this on B1 here. H1 holders might have different type of scrutiny than B1, so their experiences won't be of much help for you.

If you keep your visits really short.. like a day or two, you definitely won't have any issues I believe.
Thanks @DEEPCUR ! Can you share your experiences? I am planning to do my trips for 4-5 days of a month. Would that be an issue?

sk1519

Jun 28, 2019
Hi I am currently on F1-CPT in US working for an employer. I recently got my canadian PR.
My employer wants me to work from Canada remotely but they dont have any office in Canada.

1. Do I have to register myself with a freelance organization in Canada and then get a job offer from my current employer?

2. How will taxes work? My employer will pay me in USD. Will I have to pay taxes both in US and Canada? right now I dont pay social security or medicare since I am on F1 student visa in US.

3. Does my employer need to register its business in canada as well? We currently have contractors in other parts of the world as well but my employer is not registered in those countries.

DeeptiGupta

Apr 24, 2014
Thanks @DEEPCUR ! Can you share your experiences? I am planning to do my trips for 4-5 days of a month. Would that be an issue?
I also travel once a month for 5 days on H1x
Have been doing this for last 6 months.
Does it makes sense to apply for Nexus?
Anyone having Nexus and can share their experiences please!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I also travel once a month for 5 days on H1x
Have been doing this for last 6 months.
Does it makes sense to apply for Nexus?
Anyone having Nexus and can share their experiences please!
Hey how has been your border experience after you posted last time on having issues at US port of entry? What did you say for questions like where will you stay in US? Why are travelling on H1B? How often do you travel? Thanks.

DeeptiGupta

Apr 24, 2014
Hey how has been your border experience after you posted last time on having issues at US port of entry? What did you say for questions like where will you stay in US? Why are travelling on H1B? How often do you travel? Thanks.
Its different everytime. Sometimes if its busy at the border, they’ll ask just 2 questions- Country of citizenship and where are you headed?
Other times, they ask more questions.
Its always better not to lie at border. Just tell them if its hotel or rental accomodation or at friends place. Since will be working in US so travelling on H1. I travel once a montha and thats what I say at border too.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Its different everytime. Sometimes if its busy at the border, they’ll ask just 2 questions- Country of citizenship and where are you headed?
Other times, they ask more questions.
Its always better not to lie at border. Just tell them if its hotel or rental accomodation or at friends place. Since will be working in US so travelling on H1. I travel once a montha and thats what I say at border too.
Thanks.. are they okay if you say them you travel once a month? What's their response like?

Also have there been any secondary inspections so far? Has any agent ever said you can't do this or something on those lines?

DeeptiGupta

Apr 24, 2014
Thanks.. are they okay if you say them you travel once a month? What's their response like?

Also have there been any secondary inspections so far? Has any agent ever said you can't do this or something on those lines?
As long as you have valid reason to travel, I dont think they have issues. If the type of visa justify your travel, you should be good.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Even if you travel once a month....you are worried about all the legalities...just file an amendment for part time h1b. You can file for say ...40-80 hrs per month. 40 hrs would cover one week of on site work. Rest of time you can get paid as contractor.

One guy from office did just that, he moved to Manitoba and comes one week a month. Our company insisted and converted him to part time employee.....and I think it's the best solution. Even if someone comes for site visit , everything is covered. Also at the border he does not need to worry
....just carry the petition if anything comes up to show he is part time employee.