+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Permit with Positive LMIA

Harmanhira87

Star Member
May 7, 2018
Yes u should have them in place before leaving your job here in uk and before flying to canada.dont fly before these docs arrival as it could create problems at the port of entry

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you should apply for work permit before you go. A positive LMIA doesn't mean that you are guaranteed a work permit.

Harmanhira87

Star Member
May 7, 2018
Yes you need to have work visa granted to you before you fly either approval letters or visa counterfoils pasted in your passport.if you fly with just eta you will be granted tourist visa as you have passports from a visa on arrival country

Harmanhira87

Star Member
May 7, 2018
Ask the lawyer what if they don’t approve the work visa at port of entry?then what will happen.ask him to apply for work permit as it would be safe and sure when you fly.applying at port of entry will definitely cost of your current job and you will be in constant worry in flight about the result

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He may feel that given that the fact that you are applying on the spot leads to less time to investigate. Many POE have limited when and if you can flagpole. Given you are leaving a job and stable life seems very risky to move with such insecurity. This whole situation seems a bit strange. How did you get this job offer? Are you a specialized tradesperson with Canadian qualifications? Are you going to a remote area?

Munteanu2008

May 16, 2018
I am going to work for my brothers in law company in Toronto so he might think even if I get refused at the entry I will reapply afterwards.
I know it makes sense to have everything in place before flying over.
I will speak with him .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am going to work for my brothers in law company in Toronto so he might think even if I get refused at the entry I will reapply afterwards.
I know it makes sense to have everything in place before flying over.
I will speak with him .
Now I understand. They will likely refuse your work permit if they realize you are related to the owner. They are counting on the border agent not realizing. A work permit from a family member is usually refused.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure if this is a question but yes work permits from a family member is viewed as a way for family reunification and not a true work permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Makes sense. If a family member doesn't have the points to immigrate a family member would try and hire them to get them Canadian experience so then they could then apply for PR. I assume that you are in a similar position.

Harmanhira87

Star Member
May 7, 2018
Hey check this members post may be it helps
astacomMember

#3Saturday at 8:36 PM
Hi, This is my timeline:
April 18: Work Permit Paper Application Submitted via VFS Manila-Philippines (with LMIA, including passport, without upfront medical, with police certs etc - my NOC 2175)
April 30: Request for medical Exam
May 2: Medical Exam Done
May 6: Medical Results Submitted Online
May 18: Work Permit Approved 2 Years (They sent an email Work Permit Approval letter which will i bring to the port of entry/immigration)
Currently: Waiting for passport(with TRV visastamped) to be returned to me this comingweek

Maybe they are still doing some background check for you guys. They will for sure email what is needed etc. Goodluck and all the best to you..