+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Permit is about to end/expire..need your help, Leon and BCGuy

rianne

Oct 24, 2008
Hi there Leon and BCGuy, this is not my concern but it's for my friend. She is working as a laundry worker now in Alberta.
Her problems is, her working permit is about to end. She still want to work in Canada without going back to Philippines. My questions are;

1. Is she allowed to look for an Employer in Alberta or apply for another job? So that by the time her permit will expire, she has a job already waiting for her.

2. If ever she can find an employer who is willing to give her a positive LMO, does she need to leave Canada before she can apply a new work permit?

2. Can she apply for a permanent residency? How long it will takes?

Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Rianne

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
rianne said:
Hi there Leon and BCGuy, this is not my concern but it's for my friend. She is working as a laundry worker now in Alberta.
Her problems is, her working permit is about to end. She still want to work in Canada without going back to Philippines. My questions are;

1. Is she allowed to look for an Employer in Alberta or apply for another job? So that by the time her permit will expire, she has a job already waiting for her. AS TFW SHE HAS TO RETURN TO THE PHILIPPINES EVEN IF SHE HAS A READY EMPLOYER

2. If ever she can find an employer who is willing to give her a positive LMO, does she need to leave Canada before she can apply a new work permit?YES

2. Can she apply for a permanent residency? How long it will takes?NOT IN ALBERTA I BELIEVE LAUNDRY WORKER IS NOT UNDER THEIR PNP HOTEL LAUNDRY WORKER IS UNDER OUR BC PNP AFTER 9 MONTHS WORKING AND IF HER EMPLOYER AGREES TO SPONSOR HER.

Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Rianne
Good luck

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. She can apply for jobs and have a job waiting for her, yes.

2. As a low skilled going into another low skilled job, she needs to leave Canada for 4 months before she can get another low skilled permit but somebody on this board who was on a low skilled permit and knew some other people on low skilled permits said that sometimes they will issue a new one right away and not require you to go home. She can try it, maybe she will get lucky. Another way which doesn't involve getting lucky is if the employer can upgrade her to a skilled job or she can get a skilled job somewhere else.

3. If she is staying in AB, she can not apply for PR through PNP as a laundry worker, only if she is a food worker, hotel cleaner or working at the front desk, see http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/hotelandlodging.html She would have to have been 6 months with that employer and she needs to stay with that employer until she gets PR. Normally AB PNP PR takes 6-15 months.

rianne

Oct 24, 2008
But what if her employer want my friend to extend more years of working with the said laundry company, does she still need to go back to the Philippines?

Thanks BCGuy and Leon...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The regulations for low skill permit say that after 2 years, you must leave Canada for 4 months before you get get a new permit, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/low-skill-faq06.asp

There was somebody on here through who said that sometimes they give a new work permit anyway. It's worth a try.

rianne

Oct 24, 2008
Thanks Leon...

Hope you can give me also the link on this board who said that it is possible to get/have another work permit without going back to her/his home country....

More power to you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/attn-bcguy-and-leon-t10863.0.html;msg43292#msg43292

rianne

Oct 24, 2008
Thank you so much Leon, BCGuy....God bless you and the rest of the people who made this forum a big help to everybody.

rianne

Oct 24, 2008
Hi Leon and BCGuy, my friend asked me. Someone told her that she can get PR in Alberta if her employer will sponsor her? Is it possible?
One thing is, her employer has an initial plan that my friend might be transferred in the office? If this will happen, can she apply for PR?

Thanks.

Rianne

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Alberta PNP has some low skill options available but they are somewhat limited to certain jobs as well as how many people one employer can apply for in one year. To see which jobs and other conditions, look here: http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/semiskilledworkers.html If the employer can transfer her from laundry to another low skill job which is on the list, she would qualify but she would have to work on that work permit for 6 months before being able to apply. If her work permit is about to expire, she will have to go home for 4 months. Transfering to another low skill job will not prevent that.

If she can be upgraded to a skilled permit, she does not have to go home for 4 months and it would not be a problem at all to get PR if the employer will sponsor. Since she is working in a laundry, if the employer can promote her to supervisor, even if it's just on paper, she would be a skilled worker. The NOC codes you can see here: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/app/quicksearch.aspx?lc=e&searchkey=laundry 6214 for laundry supervisor is a skilled code and 6681 or 82 which she is probably now is a low skill job.