+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working over 20 hours in Canada on a study permit for a US company

Pufeck

Aug 19, 2021
I know this is an old topic, but I think my story is somewhat new and interesting...

I got a full-time position offer from a US company in Jan. 2020 and I was planning to move to the US in June after graduating from a Canadian University (post-graduate program).
The offer expires in July 2020.

However, I met some problem in the thesis and it is impossible to defense it any time soon (a new experiment must be added and it can't be done very quickly). At the same time, the border between US and Canada was closed because of the pandemic. Luckily, the company says they would like me to start working in Canada remotely over the Internet, and I will get paid in US dollars (I have a US SSN because I did a US internship three years ago in another company).

I choose to accept the offer and slowly make progress on my thesis while working for the company full-time. I was very worried that I violated the 20-hours rule of the study permit.
...until I found this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/what-is-work.html

According to this webpage, "long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;" does not belong to "work" under the definition of Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Therefore, a study permit is sufficient to prove I am a temporary resident, and my work doesn't have direct competition with Canadian citizens or permanent residents. So it is not a real "work" by definition.

Now I have successfully defended my thesis, submitted my PGWP application, and I am praying for the best result.