+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working out side Canada

Jan 11, 2010
Hello
I landed to Canada in February 2008 my PR is valid up to February 2013, my wife and children already settled in Canada.

Having read the relevant websites I knew that working in a Canadian business abroad is one of the safest reason for me to meet the requirement of maintaining my PR even though I’m out of Canada (Despite that the time I spend in working for this business not to be accounted for the purpose of applying for Canadian citizenship).

During my last visit to Canada I got a good opportunity to represent a Canadian business company in the Gulf during 2010 and may be for further two years, therefore I find the option of working with a Canadian business overseas under which I can be registered and pay tax is suitable for me. However they are going to pay me on a commission basis thus there is no monthly salary/slips thus I’m the one who is going to pay my tax directly not through my employer (T4) form, bearing in mind that good earning is expected. In this point I have the following questions:

1- What is the meaning of working with the Canadian company on a full time basis? Does it means that I can’t have any other part time job during my presence in the Gulf?

2- If my case meets the rules of Clause 28 of immigration act pertaining Canadian business overseas, is it ok if this company has no regional or official license overseas (In the Gulf)? As all what they have is an office which I rented on their behalf to represent their interests and to bring clients to them.

3- If I earned my income from this company on a commission basis and pay my tax by myself regularly does that contradict with the stipulation of (Full time basis)?

4- If every thing is OK, and if the relevant rules are applicable to my case, what is the starting point? I shall have soon a confirmation job letter from the Canadian Business company by which they indicate clearly my assignment to represent their interest in the Gulf and to bring client to them and it will indicate that I earn my income in a commission basis.

5- As I shall be absent from Canada to follow up this company business, I shall declare my absence period during my travel to Canada from time to time, shall I show them employment confirmation letter signed by my employer? Is it enough to prove the matter and to render these rules applicable to my case?

I do believe that regularizing my status through this company is a good opportunity to earn my income to support my family members who are already settled in Canada and as a safe way to maintain and renew my PR.

Please help
Thank you and looking forward to hear from you.

Faithfully yours,

MS

Mary2009

Star Member
Aug 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess this is an important and valuable question,
I hope one of the senior members chime in and add his/her $0.02 :)

Mary

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Mary2009 said:
I guess this is an important and valuable question,
I hope one of the senior members chime in and add his/her $0.02 :)

Mary
It appears that you are working as a agent for the company rather than a full time employee who was hired in Canada by a qualifying company and then assigned to an office overseas. This job will not meet the residency requirements for your PR.

PMM

Jan 11, 2010
Thank you PPMM for your reply, however I just want to draw your attention that after three months I shall be within their payroll, does that make change?? that is to say I shall sign a permanent employment contract after the probation period. Do they still need to establish a branch in the Gulf?? Please help

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mustafarasheed said:
Thank you PPMM for your reply, however I just want to draw your attention that after three months I shall be within their payroll, does that make change?? that is to say I shall sign a permanent employment contract after the probation period. Do they still need to establish a branch in the Gulf?? Please help
May I ask you why you want to stay away from Canada and your family? Does it have anything to do with the job market in Canada or your education not being recognised? Did you try searching for a job in Canada and how was your experience? I have my Canadian PR too, but I am afraid to move to Canada as I have read many sad stories of people who struggled so much to find a decent job.

I have a good job (as of now) in the US and I also got my US green card approved a few days ago. It is really hard to decide where to settle.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Mustafarasheed said:
As per my previous post, I really think that CIC/CHC is NOT going to accept that you are working for a Canadian company abroad.

PMM

rrv

Star Member
Jun 4, 2011
Mustafarasheed said:
Hello
I landed to Canada in February 2008 my PR is valid up to February 2013, my wife and children already settled in Canada.

Having read the relevant websites I knew that working in a Canadian business abroad is one of the safest reason for me to meet the requirement of maintaining my PR even though I'm out of Canada (Despite that the time I spend in working for this business not to be accounted for the purpose of applying for Canadian citizenship).

During my last visit to Canada I got a good opportunity to represent a Canadian business company in the Gulf during 2010 and may be for further two years, therefore I find the option of working with a Canadian business overseas under which I can be registered and pay tax is suitable for me. However they are going to pay me on a commission basis thus there is no monthly salary/slips thus I'm the one who is going to pay my tax directly not through my employer (T4) form, bearing in mind that good earning is expected. In this point I have the following questions:

1- What is the meaning of working with the Canadian company on a full time basis? Does it means that I can't have any other part time job during my presence in the Gulf?

2- If my case meets the rules of Clause 28 of immigration act pertaining Canadian business overseas, is it ok if this company has no regional or official license overseas (In the Gulf)? As all what they have is an office which I rented on their behalf to represent their interests and to bring clients to them.

3- If I earned my income from this company on a commission basis and pay my tax by myself regularly does that contradict with the stipulation of (Full time basis)?

4- If every thing is OK, and if the relevant rules are applicable to my case, what is the starting point? I shall have soon a confirmation job letter from the Canadian Business company by which they indicate clearly my assignment to represent their interest in the Gulf and to bring client to them and it will indicate that I earn my income in a commission basis.

5- As I shall be absent from Canada to follow up this company business, I shall declare my absence period during my travel to Canada from time to time, shall I show them employment confirmation letter signed by my employer? Is it enough to prove the matter and to render these rules applicable to my case?

I do believe that regularizing my status through this company is a good opportunity to earn my income to support my family members who are already settled in Canada and as a safe way to maintain and renew my PR.

Please help
Thank you and looking forward to hear from you.

Faithfully yours,

MS
Hi all,

I have received a job offer that requires frequent overseas travel.
Can anyone plz advice me - Will the time spent overseas (during work related travels) be counted towards maintaining PR and eventually towards Citizenship?

Thanks!