+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working online / Temporary worker

French tutor

Jan 22, 2021
Hello All,

I am new here and tried to find threads about working online while being on closed Work permit. I read about working for outside Canada's companies. I am a teacher and would like to give online classes, for companies but also regular customers NOT living in Canada.

So do you think that I would be entitled to do so even with a closed work permit? Can I use my canadian bank or do I need a foreigner bank account? Thank you for your help. @legalfalcon and other experts.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So you are on a closed work permit now for a Canadian company. But you want to work “on the side” tutoring students remotely, correct? You can do that as long as the company is not based in Canada and there are no Canadian students.

French tutor

Jan 22, 2021
So you are on a closed work permit now for a Canadian company. But you want to work “on the side” tutoring students remotely, correct? You can do that as long as the company is not based in Canada and there are no Canadian students.
Thank you!

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hello All,

I am new here and tried to find threads about working online while being on closed Work permit. I read about working for outside Canada's companies. I am a teacher and would like to give online classes, for companies but also regular customers NOT living in Canada.

So do you think that I would be entitled to do so even with a closed work permit? Can I use my canadian bank or do I need a foreigner bank account? Thank you for your help. @legalfalcon and other experts.
That's fine, shouldn't worry about it.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hello All,

If you are on a closed work permit, you can only work for your employer listed on the WP.

Working online is a grey area, however, since you are a resident of Canada on a WP, you will have to pay taxes on all money you make from across the globe in Canada.

Making a case that you worked only for a Canadian company while you were in Canada, but received money from other countries, or though your own business, even when the funds came from outside Canada will be a violation of your work permit. The Work permit is issued for s specific job with a specific employer for a set time.