+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working online for a US company, while traveling in Canada

overmyhead

Sep 26, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have a pretty simple question, but I wasn't able to find the answer on my own. Suppose I work remotely for a US company, get paid in US dollars, etc. Am I allowed to continue this work while I travel in Canada, without a work visa?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
overmyhead said:
Hello everyone,

I have a pretty simple question, but I wasn't able to find the answer on my own. Suppose I work remotely for a US company, get paid in US dollars, etc. Am I allowed to continue this work while I travel in Canada, without a work visa?

Thanks!
Yes - you can work without a work permit. Make sure the company has no Canadian clients that you may be doing work for.

brighthope

Sep 26, 2013
Scylla, I work as an online advisor, people call from all over the world. I don't know what nationality they are unless they tell me. Would I have to apply for the work visa in this case?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
brighthope said:
Scylla, I work as an online advisor, people call from all over the world. I don't know what nationality they are unless they tell me. Would I have to apply for the work visa in this case?
You're in a tricky situation. If you take calls from any Canadian clients / anyone located in Canada - they you're working illegally.

At the same time, I don't see how it will be possible for you to obtain a work visa. To do so, your employer would first have to obtain an approved LMO (labour market opinion). It sounds like your employer is outside of Canada. If so, there's zero chance the LMO is going to be approved.

The only solution I see is that your employer would have to assign you to a specific region of the world to ensure you receiving no calls from Canadian clients.

brighthope

Sep 26, 2013
I'm not sure they can restrict calls in that way. I have a general listing and an 800# land line that clients around the world can see and call. So unless they can make my listing restricted in Canada, I don't think that will work.

Oh well. I am not sure about total immigration, I found the Canadian immigration forum because I wanted to ask about transit visas. I just happened to see this question and thought I should ask in case we decide to immigrate instead. Thank you so much for your answers though. I really appreciate it.