+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working on Canada Day, Victoria Day and Easter

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Hello everyone,

As a newcomer I don't know too much here so I worked on holiday days is that fine or against law in Canada?

What I should do or what is required from me to do next time ?
Or it's fine and I would get more if I work on holidays ?

What if I worked on holiday and on payroll shows (I didn't work) and already paid me but now my employer is says I will pay you on next check ?

Please I need some clarifications.

Thanks everyone.

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
well depending on what province you live the rules change just a little bit but in all province you get paid when you work holiday. Just google it Stat Pay and the province.

for the next question maybe your employer will pay you on the next pay cheque because of your pay cycle..... if you dont see your holiday pay then talk to your payroll department and they should correct it.

General (Stat) Holidays - Worked
BC Time + 1/2 for the first 12 hours, Double time after that plus an additional day off with pay
Alberta Time + 1/2 plus an average day’s wages plus a holiday day with pay
Saskatchewan Time + 1/2 plus regular wages
Manitoba Time + 1/2 plus regular wages
Ontario Time + 1/2 plus public holiday pay or regular pay plus a day off with public holiday pay
Quebec Double time or regular pay plus an additional day off with pay
New Brunswick Time + 1/2 plus regular wages
Nova Scotia Time + 1/2 plus regular wages
PEI Time + 1/2 plus regular wages or regular wages plus an additional day off with pay
Newfoundland Double time or an additional day off with pay within 30 days or an additional vacation day
Yukon All hours worked paid as overtime or the regular rate plus an additional day off with pay
NWT Time + 1/2 plus regular wages or regular wages plus a holiday day with pay
Nunavut Time + 1/2 plus regular wages or regular wages plus a holiday day with pay
Federal Time + 1/2 plus regular wages

Reactions: Clorets90

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
well depending on what province you live the rules change just a little bit but in all province you get paid when you work holiday. Just google it Stat Pay and the province.

for the next question maybe your employer will pay you on the next pay cheque because of your pay cycle..... if you dont see your holiday pay then talk to your payroll department and they should correct it.

General (Stat) Holidays - Worked
BC Time + 1/2 for the first 12 hours, Double time after that plus an additional day off with pay
Alberta Time + 1/2 plus an average day’s wages plus a holiday day with pay
Saskatchewan Time + 1/2 plus regular wages
Manitoba Time + 1/2 plus regular wages
Ontario Time + 1/2 plus public holiday pay or regular pay plus a day off with public holiday pay
Quebec Double time or regular pay plus an additional day off with pay
New Brunswick Time + 1/2 plus regular wages
Nova Scotia Time + 1/2 plus regular wages
PEI Time + 1/2 plus regular wages or regular wages plus an additional day off with pay
Newfoundland Double time or an additional day off with pay within 30 days or an additional vacation day
Yukon All hours worked paid as overtime or the regular rate plus an additional day off with pay
NWT Time + 1/2 plus regular wages or regular wages plus a holiday day with pay
Nunavut Time + 1/2 plus regular wages or regular wages plus a holiday day with pay
Federal Time + 1/2 plus regular wages
Thank you very much!
So there is no legal issue if I worked on a national holiday right?
Only the employer must pay me 1 and half and must contact the payroll department dor correction.

Reactions: Webby sondashi

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Thank you very much!
So there is no legal issue if I worked on a national holiday right?
Only the employer must pay me 1 and half and must contact the payroll department dor correction.
Yes, no legal issue.

Yes if its not showing payroll will correct it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depending on your contract and province you may not qualify for time and a half. You continue to have the most random questions. If you were worried about working on a holiday shouldn’t you have asked the question before the holiday?

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Depending on your contract and province you may not qualify for time and a half. You continue to have the most random questions. If you were worried about working on a holiday shouldn’t you have asked the question before the holiday?
I don't have any contracts with the current company...
I'm new here so many random question are facing me they are not same as my previous life experience so I ask here and I get very good answers from you "I really love that"
All my concerns are I don't want to have legal issues not about money the employer mentioned he will pay me but he can't correct the previous paystub or payroll! I don't know why he said I can give you seperate payment.
That's I'm worried could you make it clearer please if you have time and experience.
Thank you so much.
Thanks

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Also my employer told me that he showed that I didn't work I took a day off on Holiday! But I was working on that day Instead of correction he is asking me to accept if he pay me separately...
I told him I want to correct it he mentioned he can't instead he will pay me separately as a commission....

Please tell me what should I do.

Thanks everyone.

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
I don't have any contracts with the current company...
I'm new here so many random question are facing me they are not same as my previous life experience so I ask here and I get very good answers from you "I really love that"
All my concerns are I don't want to have legal issues not about money the employer mentioned he will pay me but he can't correct the previous paystub or payroll! I don't know why he said I can give you seperate payment.
That's I'm worried could you make it clearer please if you have time and experience.
Thank you so much.
Thanks
The employer cannot correct the previous stub they can only pay you on the upcoming one.

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Also my employer told me that he showed that I didn't work I took a day off on Holiday! But I was working on that day Instead of correction he is asking me to accept if he pay me separately...
I told him I want to correct it he mentioned he can't instead he will pay me separately as a commission....

Please tell me what should I do.

Thanks everyone.
well now that i cannot help with as i have no-idea what your Log in system is how do they check the days you work,

what time you arrive
what time you take breaks / Lunches.
what days you dont actually work.

that you have to work out with your boss how does he know you did not work and how can you prove you worked and also for the hours you claim.

and also why on earth don't you have a contract or offer letter or something in writing ?

All the best

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
read this helped me understand a few things abut pay deduction ETC

https://www.payworks.ca/payroll-legislation/CPPEI.asp

ALL THE BEST
Thanks
well now that i cannot help with as i have no-idea what your Log in system is how do they check the days you work,

what time you arrive
what time you take breaks / Lunches.
what days you dont actually work.

that you have to work out with your boss how does he know you did not work and how can you prove you worked and also for the hours you claim.

and also why on earth don't you have a contract or offer letter or something in writing ?

All the best
I'm sorry about all this the issue is solved (the employer forgotten that he paid me till 18th of May last payment)
So he is going to mention this on the next Paystub.......

I don't have this because I was looking for work he said okay come work next week as a test then we can see your skills and I will hire you!

I don't know even if this should be mentioned no one said this like letter or offer.
I don't know if this affect if I'm Permanent Resident.
If you could explain this in more detail please.
Thanks

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Thanks

I'm sorry about all this the issue is solved (the employer forgotten that he paid me till 18th of May last payment)
So he is going to mention this on the next Paystub.......

I don't have this because I was looking for work he said okay come work next week as a test then we can see your skills and I will hire you!

I don't know even if this should be mentioned no one said this like letter or offer.
I don't know if this affect if I'm Permanent Resident.
If you could explain this in more detail please.
Thanks

No it should not affect you just wanted to know for your own benefits you don’t know the rules and terms of your employment but you work and get paid and you’re okay I’m sure you’ll be fine i just know everywhere I’ve worked I’ve gotten a offer letter which outline everything. About the company my role what grounds they can fire me on late policy sick policy vacation policy how much I’m getting paid etc and the list goes on but again this should not affect your pr when you apply for pr ad you as for a job letter then the company if they even remember when you start will write that ou are employed and when you start if its full time part time etc

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Example of a offer letter this is mine. ive removed all important info about me or my company.

Dear (ME)

On behalf of __________or the “Company”) we are pleased to offer you employment (the “Offer”) as a Credit & Risk Analyst February 19, 2019. The position will be located in our Toronto, Ontario office and will be reporting to Manager, Credit.

Job Duties

You will be responsible for driving our resolutions effort with a focus on delinquency reduction, mitigation of charge off while providing a positive client experience. The Company reserves the right to make appropriate changes to your job duties as necessary to respond to current business needs.

As an employee of the Company, you will be subject to all Company policies and procedures, and any revisions thereto.

Conditional Offer of Employment

This Offer is conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory:

1. Professional employment check(s);

2. Criminal check; and

3. Credit check.

Probationary Period

The first three (3) months of your employment is a probationary period (the “Probationary Period”), during which time the Company will assess your performance and determine your suitability. At any time prior to the end of your Probationary Period, the Company may terminate your employment, for any reason, upon providing you with accrued wages and vacation pay, and any other minimum entitlements as required by the Ontario Employment Standards Act, 2000, as amended from time to time.

Remuneration

Your compensation package is comprised of the following items:

· Annual salary of $51,000.00 per annum.

· After successful completion of your 90-day probation you will be enrolled in our quarterly bonus program and company benefit program.

· Eligibility to participate in the employee share ownership plan with a target annual equity bonus equivalent to 10% of annual salary, subject to approval by the Board of Directors

Vacation

You shall be entitled to two (2) weeks’ vacation per year of active service. Vacation entitlement will accrue on a monthly basis at the rate of 0.83 days per month and will be scheduled to meet current business requirements. Vacation will be prorated during the first year of employment. Vacation entitlement must be taken by December 31 of each calendar year or it is forfeited, subject to complying with minimum entitlements as required by the Ontario Employment Standards Act, 2000, as amended from time to time.

Confidentiality

You acknowledge that you will acquire information about certain matters which are confidential to the Company and which information is the exclusive property of the Company including but not limited to clients and accounts, information concerning products and services, trade secrets and know-how, computer programs and the financial history of the Company. You acknowledge that such information (“Confidential Information”) could be used to the detriment of the Company and therefore you shall not disclose such information in any manner, directly or indirectly, to any person without the prior written consent of the Company.

Intellectual Property

You agree that all right, title and interest in all designs, inventions, methodologies, concepts, documentation, specifications and any other works developed by you during your employment (the “Works”) including but not limited to all patent, copyright, trade-mark, trade secret and any other intellectual property and proprietary rights therein (the “Intellectual Property Rights”) shall be the sole and exclusive property of the Company and you hereby assign and shall assign to the Company all such Intellectual Property Rights and waive all moral rights that you may have in such Works for the benefit of the Company and its successors, assigns and licensees. You represent and warrant that the Works will not infringe the intellectual property and proprietary rights of any third parties. You shall not disclose the Works to any third parties without the prior written consent of the Company.

Non-Solicitation

You agree that during your employment and for a period of twelve (12) months following the termination of your employment for any reason, you will not solicit by mail, phone, electronic communication, personal meeting, or any other means, either directly or indirectly, business from any customer of the Company who you served or interacted with in the course of your duties during the last twelve (12) months of your employment. Your agreement not to solicit means that you will not, during your employment in any capacity, and for a period of twelve (12) months thereafter, initiate any contact or communication, of any kind whatsoever, for the purpose of inviting, encouraging or requesting any Company customer to transfer from the Company to you, to your new employer or to any entity to which you have a direct or indirect interest (“Organization”), to open a new account with you, with your new employer or Organization, or to otherwise discontinue its patronage and business relationship with the Company.

You agree that during your employment and for a period of twelve (12) months from the termination of your employment for any reason, you will not, either directly or indirectly interfere with the employee/independent contractor relationships between the Company and any of its employees and/or independent contractors and will not in any way solicit, recruit, hire, assist others in recruiting, hiring, or discuss employment or contractual arrangements with any employees or independent contractors of the Company.

Return of Documents

You agree that all documents (including, without limitation, software and information in machine-readable form) of any nature pertaining to activities of the Company or any subsidiary or other affiliate of the Company, including, without limitation, Confidential Information, in your possession now or at any time during your employment, are and shall be the property of the Company or such subsidiary or other affiliate, and that all such documents and all copies of them shall be surrendered to the Company whenever requested by the Company.

Termination

While it is our hope that your working relationship with the Company will be both lengthy and rewarding, we feel it is important to address the terms that will apply if it becomes necessary to end our relationship.

Just Cause:

The Company may terminate your employment at any time for just cause. Should the Company terminate your employment with just cause, you shall not receive any notice or severance pay, or any other payments whatsoever, other than any accrued wages and vacation entitlements to the date of termination, and any other minimum entitlements you may have, in accordance with the minimum standards set out in the Ontario Employment Standards Act, 2000, as amended from time to time.

Without Cause:

After the completion of the Probationary Period, the Company may terminate your employment at any time on a without cause basis. Should your employment be terminated without cause, you shall receive your accrued wages and vacation entitlements to the date of termination, and your minimum entitlements to notice or pay in lieu of notice, severance pay (if applicable), benefits continuation, vacation pay accrual, and any other minimum entitlements you may have, as required by the Ontario Employment Standards Act, 2000, as amended from time to time. For purposes of clarity, you agree that this paragraph is inclusive of all entitlements to notice or pay in lieu of notice that you shall have on the without cause termination of your employment, and that you shall not be entitled to common law reasonable notice or compensation in lieu of common law reasonable notice.

Resignation

In the event that you decide to resign from your employment, we ask that you provide us with three (3) weeks’ notice of resignation (the “Resignation Notice Period”). In the event that you accept employment with a competitor prior to or during the Resignation Notice Period, the Company may terminate the employment relationship immediately without any obligation to provide you with notice or pay in lieu of notice. Furthermore, the Company will not be obligated to pay you for the remainder of the Resignation Notice Period.

Change of Terms of Employment