+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WORKING ON A CREW SHIP

ALBERTUS

Apr 30, 2019
I AM A SA (SOUTH AFRICAN) CITIZEN ANS PASSPORT HOLDER WITH A B1 USA VISA WORKING ON AN ISLE OF MAN FLAG SUPER YACHT.

THE YACHT WILL SAIL TO CANADA DURING THE NEXT 4 WEEKS AND I WILL FLY BACK TO SA DURING AUGUST FROM VANCOUVER.

I WILL JOIN THE YACHT AGAIN IN SEPTEMBER BY FLYING BACK TO CANADA.

WHAT VISA, IF ANYONE, DO I NEED FOR MY PLANNED VISIT TO CANADA AS A CREW MEMBER ON A NON CANADIAN FLAG VESSEL?

ALBERTUS

Apr 30, 2019
Thanks. Do you know if I can apply online whilst we are in Seattle and if the Visa will be electronic as I have my passport with me on the boat?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You're going to have a lot of different challenges. There's processing times to keep in mind - if you apply from the United States, processing time is about 11-12 days at present, and then you have to submit your passport to a visa centre that will forward it to a consulate to have the visa actually inserted. If you're crewing a ship during that time, it may be hard for you to get it to a visa centre. The visa will not be electronic.

Good news is that you have a US visa, which should make it easier for you to get the Canadian visa.

However, there's no guarantee you will get the visa on time. Do you have a backup plan in case port authorities do not allow you to land? Especially since you seem to have been planning to spend May/June/July/August in Canada and have no visa yet?

ALBERTUS

Apr 30, 2019
Thanks. We are on the hard at the moment and I will try to get the application in as soon as possible. Apparently the Canadian embassy in Seattle do not handle Visa applications. Do you perhaps know where the closest embassy to Seattle is?

Unfortunately I do not have a backup plan at the moment as I was led to believe that I can enter Canada as a crew member without a Canadian Visa.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Commercial air crew can enter for up to 48 hours. Sadly, I think you need a visa. The US CBP website is terribly misleading when it suggests B1/2 visa holders can enter Canada or Mexico - what that means is that B1/2 holders can enter Canada or Mexico and return to the US. The CBP doesn't speak for Canadian immigration.

You can apply online and if approved find the closest place to Seattle to submit your visa. That way, your passport doesn't need to be submitted until you've been approved.