+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working more than 40 hours

Discussion in 'Canadian Labour Legislation' started by grimmbrother, Jul 18, 2012.

1. I'm on a student Visa. I have 2 jobs and sometimes my hours can reach between 43 and 46 but this is excluding 30 minute breaks. So far, I've been cancelling or giving away shifts that go over my 40 hours but I want to know if it's ok that it's going over just a little. I'm working 2 jobs during the summer. I'll quit one when school starts. Is it ok to do more than 40 or will the government be upset?
    I also want to know if 30 minute breaks are factored into your overall hours? So If I calculate my hours and it comes to 46 but if you factor in lunch breaks and it comes down to 40, is that ok?

Thanks!

2. As far as I know, there is no stipulation on the maximum number of hours you can work during semester breaks. The restriction is 20 hours during a semester / while you are a full time student.

3. Really? My off campus work permit says 40 hours during summer breaks and reading weeks. That would be awesome if it were true!

4. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/study/index.asp

When I had an OCWP, my work permit never said 40 hours during scheduled breaks. The specific wording on mine was:

However if your work permit explicitly says 40 hours, then you should only be working 40 hours period. The conditions stated on your work permit are your guide. In the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Regulations (section 185), an immigration officer is free to impose whatever condition they want on your work permit that you must abide by.

As such, if they have explicitly stated 40 hours as a condition on your work permit, then this is what you must abide by. So to answer your question, no you are breaching the conditions of your work permit. It's up to you whether you consider those extra hours are worth the risks involved.

5. Mine has the exact same wording. Full-time. I spoke to the international student adviser at my university and she said the government will not chase me down for working a few more than 40 hours.

6. you will get rich soon

7. I have seen several students worked around 60 hours during summer breaks without any problem.

8. it is bit confusing government is little tricky hear they just said full time but they didnt mentioned any guideline if any student works more than 40 hours during summer break is this offense or not , because student adviser is saying it is fine if student work morethan 40 hours similarly advocates says .

9. It's not tricky at all. There is no upper limit for full-time. You can work as many hours as you want during your regular breaks.

scylla likes this.