+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working more than 20 hours in Summer if I have a 12 credits course load

Pri47

Apr 22, 2020
Montréal
Bonjour tout le monde,
I have been enrolled in a DLI (full-time) for the past 3 years. I have never taken any courses in Summer and have always worked full-time.

My study permit clearly states that I am allowed to work 20 hours during Fall and Winter and full-time during scheduled breaks (Reading week, Summer).

However, this summer I am taking full time course load because I have recently been accepted into the Co-op program and I have an internship this fall (I already have my Work permit for that).

The Co-op department requires any student (local or international) to stay full time in the other term they are not working. However, this time they have allowed students to take 9 credits instead of 12 but I am still registered for 12.

Now my question is, am I still allowed to work full-time this summer or do I have to maintain the 20 hours restriction?

I called IRCC and the agent told me that if I am taking any courses in summer that leads to the fulfillment of my degree, I am not allowed to work full time. But I have seen people work full time while taking 1 or 2 courses during summer for the last few years and I am really confused.

I have a great GPA and I am perfectly able to coordinate between work and studies. But I am not sure about how many hours I can work because of the scenarios mentioned above. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Bonjour tout le monde,
I have been enrolled in a DLI (full-time) for the past 3 years. I have never taken any courses in Summer and have always worked full-time.

My study permit clearly states that I am allowed to work 20 hours during Fall and Winter and full-time during scheduled breaks (Reading week, Summer).

However, this summer I am taking full time course load because I have recently been accepted into the Co-op program and I have an internship this fall (I already have my Work permit for that).

The Co-op department requires any student (local or international) to stay full time in the other term they are not working. However, this time they have allowed students to take 9 credits instead of 12 but I am still registered for 12.

Now my question is, am I still allowed to work full-time this summer or do I have to maintain the 20 hours restriction?

I called IRCC and the agent told me that if I am taking any courses in summer that leads to the fulfillment of my degree, I am not allowed to work full time. But I have seen people work full time while taking 1 or 2 courses during summer for the last few years and I am really confused.

I have a great GPA and I am perfectly able to coordinate between work and studies. But I am not sure about how many hours I can work because of the scenarios mentioned above. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You!
Agree that you can only workfull-time on a scheduled break. You are studying full-time instead of taking your scheduled break,

Reactions: Pri47

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
20 hours. don't do any funny math or theories. u dont wanna throw away your pgwp. they are recently more stricter with pgwp and students breaking 20 hours rule.

Reactions: YVR123

Pri47

Apr 22, 2020
Montréal
So, I contacted my University's ISO and they said that I am allowed to work full time this summer because the Co-op department has created an exemption from studying full time for this summer only. And said I meet the requirements and shouldn't run into any problems.

This is what the ISO Advisor said:
If you were registered in your coop term during the summer and it was mandatory to be full time by coop during the summer due to fall internship then in that case you can only work maximum of 20 hours/week.

It seems that you do not need to be full time this summer than in that case in order to be eligible to work more than 20 hours/week during summer you must be registered full time the semester before (winter 2021) and the semester after (Fall 2021) regardless of summer registration.

Your study permit must have the remark that you may work off campus and you must have a valid SIN.

For more information on working while studying please visit the following IRCC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work.html

The summer term officially begun May 10th therefore as of May 10th you can work full time until the day before the fall term begins officially.

Please note, students cannot work full time more than 180 days in a given calendar year (January 01 to December 31). In addition, it is the students’ responsibility to make sure that the work hours do not negatively impact their studies as the main status in Canada is a student.
Yes, you can work full time since you were full time winter 2021 and will be full time fall 2021 as it will be your coop term, regardless of your summer registration. Unless coop requires you to be registered full time then in that case you can only work 20 hours/week as your program does not allow for summer breaks.
Any feedbacks?