+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working less than 30 hrs /week

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Ah so, OK, 10 weeks FTE. Why don't you give a timeline -

PT JOB: May 3 - Dec 31, 2015? 10 FTE weeks...

FT JOB1: July 4 2016 to , Nov 18 2016? # weeks

FT JOB2: Date to Date, 2017? # weeks

(1) PT JOB: May 3 - Dec 31, 2015 10 FTE weeks.
(2) FT JOB1: July 4 2016 to , Nov 18 2016. 19 FTE week

These 2 jobs were with same agency as but sent to different employer to work on FTJOB3 - on another assignment)
(3) FT JOB2: Dec 12 2016 to Mar 17 2017? 13 FTE weeks
(4) FT JOB3: April 3, 2017 to June 30, 2017. 12 FTE weeks

Thanks, jes_ON.

philus

Oct 14, 2016

These 2 jobs were with same agency as but sent to different employer to work on FTJOB3 - on another assignment)

Thanks, jes_ON.

gsbx

Jul 25, 2017
Hi @jes_ON , does work experience gained by working through staffing companies and recruiting firms count as eligible work experience (assuming your job is in NOC 0,A,B). I mean if you for 2 or 3 temporary full-time assignments through the same staffing company at 3 different/same employers, can we use this experience in CEC?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

I count 54 weeks, so, you've met the 1 year requirement within the past 3 years.

Just a note about the agency - the AGENCY is your employer, the company you worked at is the client. So you will have to get documents from the Agency, your employer, but in these cases, IRCC also likes you to get them from the client. Just don't call the client "employer" because you were not an employee, and that will make them less likely to provide the letter. The reason it is important to get the client letter is because they were the ones who actually observed you performing the skilled work. The agency can provide salary/wage details, the client should describe duties/responsibilities, dates worked and hours worked per week, location of work etc. It does NOT have to be from human resources, it is best if it comes from the person you reported to.

Reactions: gsbx

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi @jes_ON , does work experience gained by working through staffing companies and recruiting firms count as eligible work experience (assuming your job is in NOC 0,A,B). I mean if you for 2 or 3 temporary full-time assignments through the same staffing company at 3 different/same employers, can we use this experience in CEC?
Yes. See my reply to philus above.

dna211

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
Missisuaga
Category........
LANDED..........
04-02-2018
Hi @jes_ON
I am in a similar situation listed in this thread. I worked for 26.25 hours from August 19th to November 30th 2016. From December 1, 2016 to present, I have been working full time of about 37.5 hours a week. I was wondering if you could please help me the calculation of hours, and whether I am eligible to apply in CEC. I am quite confused because I consulted an immigration lawyer and he suggested that I need full time of work experience and anything less than 30 hours will be counted as part time, which means my 15 weeks of part time work (@26.25 hours) will be merely counted as 7.5 Full time week. Please help me. Thanks

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
Hi @jes_ON
I am in a similar situation listed in this thread. I worked for 26.25 hours from August 19th to November 30th 2016. From December 1, 2016 to present, I have been working full time of about 37.5 hours a week. I was wondering if you could please help me the calculation of hours, and whether I am eligible to apply in CEC. I am quite confused because I consulted an immigration lawyer and he suggested that I need full time of work experience and anything less than 30 hours will be counted as part time, which means my 15 weeks of part time work (@26.25 hours) will be merely counted as 7.5 Full time week. Please help me. Thanks
Already answered elsewhere.

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Thanks so much jes_ON - really, really appreciated! Now I can cross my fingers in good shape and wait for CIC`s positive email :)

gsbx

Jul 25, 2017
Hi @jes_ON
Hi,

You’re eligible for CEC. Basically, you need to fulfill two requirements, that you must have 1 year of experience and must have worked at least 1560 in total, which you’ve already done as per my calculations given below:

First job = 14 weeks * 26.25 hrs = 367.5 hrs

Second job = 40 weeks * 30 hrs = 1200 hrs

So,

1 year/52 weeks = Check

1560 hours = Check

Keep in mind that most immigration agents don’t know what they are talking about, so its better to do all by yourself (EE isn’t hard to understand). If that’s not possible, choose your lawyer/consultant carefully after thorough research.

dna211

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
Missisuaga
Category........
LANDED..........
04-02-2018
Hi,

You’re eligible for CEC. Basically, you need to fulfill two requirements, that you must have 1 year of experience and must have worked at least 1560 in total, which you’ve already done as per my calculations given below:

First job = 14 weeks * 26.25 hrs = 367.5 hrs

Second job = 40 weeks * 30 hrs = 1200 hrs

So,

1 year/52 weeks = Check

1560 hours = Check

Keep in mind that most immigration agents don’t know what they are talking about, so its better to do all by yourself (EE isn’t hard to understand). If that’s not possible, choose your lawyer/consultant carefully after thorough research.[/QUOTE

Thanks . Though once I started filling up my profile, I came up with serious dilemma Since I was working part time on my PGWP, and later on full time. I actually started working from August 1 2016, 26.5 hours a week and I got PGWP on August 19th. So I have that three weeks of unauthorized work. And then i started working full time from December 1st. So even If i calculate the work experience I have from the day I got PGWP, that is from August 19th 2016, I have one year of CE. But I am unsure of how to put it in the profile. Because the reference letter i will get is that he is working from august 1 to november 30, for 26.5 hours a week and from december 1 to present, 37.5 hours a week. I am worried that officers will raise their concern that how did i started working from August 1st while i was allowed to work starting August 19th. What do you suggest? To be very honest, I was suggested by a consultant that I can work more than 20 hours if I am done with my studies and I didn't check myself on cic

gsbx

Jul 25, 2017
You should be okay either of the ways.

I would recommend putting 1st August (if that's what your company is going to state on your ref. letter) itself because you weren't working illegally.

I believe you're authorized to work full-time after you've applied for your PGWP, which is your case. But this benefit is up to officer's discretion, sometimes they consider it, sometimes they don't, based on what I've heard.

However, just to stay on the safe side give CIC a call, and their agent will be able to assist you on which date you should put or you can wait for someone else on this forum to reply.

dna211

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
Missisuaga
Category........
LANDED..........
04-02-2018
You should be okay either of the ways.

I would recommend putting 1st August (if that's what your company is going to state on your ref. letter) itself because you weren't working illegally.

I believe you're authorized to work full-time after you've applied for your PGWP, which is your case. But this benefit is up to officer's discretion, sometimes they consider it, sometimes they don't, based on what I've heard.

However, just to stay on the safe side give CIC a call, and their agent will be able to assist you on which date you should put or you can wait for someone else on this forum to reply.
Hi,
Unfortunately I worked for 3 weeks without applying for PGWP

gsbx

Jul 25, 2017
Hi,

Unfortunately I worked for 3 weeks without applying for PGWP
In that case, I don't think, it would be counted as eligible work experience as you started working when you were still a full-time student (in the eyes of CIC), so that isn't eligible W.E as per CIC CEC stream guidelines.

According to CIC guidelines given here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/cec/work.asp

"Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS."

However, any experience accumulated after you had applied for PGWP and are waiting for approval does count.

Link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181&top=15

So basically, after you graduate, your current study permit authorizes you to work for 3 months; then if you apply for the PGWP before the end of that 3-month grace period, you are in implied status.

And in this period (the period after applying for PGWP and before getting approval) -
(1) your work experience is legal and authorized
(2) you are no longer a full-time student.

dna211

Star Member
Sep 8, 2017
Missisuaga
Category........
LANDED..........
04-02-2018
In that case, I don't think, it would be counted as eligible work experience as you started working when you were still a full-time student (in the eyes of CIC), so that isn't eligible W.E as per CIC CEC stream guidelines.

According to CIC guidelines given here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/cec/work.asp

"Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS."

However, any experience accumulated after you had applied for PGWP and are waiting for approval does count.

Link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181&top=15

So basically, after you graduate, your current study permit authorizes you to work for 3 months; then if you apply for the PGWP before the end of that 3-month grace period, you are in implied status.

And in this period (the period after applying for PGWP and before getting approval) -
(1) your work experience is legal and authorized
(2) you are no longer a full-time student.
Hi,

This is exactly one of the agent said. And hence as soon I finish the studies I started working for 26.5 hours and thought I could apply PGWP within 3 months. But later on I realized I could not work even for a day without being on implied status.