+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in the arts/theatre advice needed and what is my profession classed as?

Kemble

Aug 4, 2010
Apologies if this is somewhat ridiculous or already answered, it'd be wonderful for any advice/answers on this, even a 'You have no idea what you're talking about!'

I'm a Stage Manager (primarily), and a prop maker, (so my NOC classification/s are 'Other Technical and Co-ordinating Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts' and 'Support Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts'). I've taken the online assessment, which without arranged employment I got 67 for. (I do have family in Canada, but they live in New Brunswick and can't sponsor me, so I stated on the form that I didn't). If I had arranged employment I would have got 80.

I'm just confused about work permits, or classification (skilled worker? I'm guessing I'm not) because of the particular profession - jobs don't tend to last more than a few months, so unless I was lucky enough to be attached to one theatre, I may have to have different jobs in different theatres every time a production of a play ended (if I chose to carry on my career there, that is). Does a work permit allow this?

I trained at a prestigious well known British theatre school and I have 4+ years work experience in professional theatre. I've been told by one Canadian theatre that they would absolutely consider employing me, but they won't accept an application/my portfolio unless I can already prove to them I have a work permit and visa (how can they think I can get this without a job offer?) - and 2 others have offered to meet me for interviews/to discuss options when I manage to move over there. These theatres are high profile, National theatres, but smaller companies seem more interested in assessing me from afar rather than waiting, and they do seem willing to offer me work - I feel a couple - when they have vacancies - may offer me work. But those jobs are rare.

Family of a good friend of mine, who live in Vancouver have said they're willing to sponsor me, I can live with them etc. Is this something you can do? I thought it was just close family members who can sponsor you in this way?

Otherwise, I just have no idea how I'm going to get over there to do so. I'm just wondering if there's anyone in an arts/theatre related profession with advice?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Can you clarify - are you now, or have you ever worked in Canada?

5226 Other Technical and Co-ordinating Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts

5227 Support Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts

Both are Skill Level B = Skilled employment for CIC purposes

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2006/html/Matrix.html

It is difficult through the skilled employment route for you - it is really designed for traditional salaried employees. Depending on your country of citizenship and age, there may be other permit options for you.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Sorry, I edited my first post, see it again -

Kemble

Aug 4, 2010
Ah ok, thanks for that. I'm a British Citizen and 26...I'm guessing I should just keep going through the CIC site. It's quite overwhelming trying to figure it out in relation to what I do.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You could try looking into a BUNAC visa. It would only give you one year in Canada, tho, so you'd have to find another way to gain the full two years of experience....