+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working in middle east

shankariyer

Star Member
May 23, 2011
As a Canadian citizen I am planning to work in Qatar, middle east from where I migrated. At the same time I want to honour my commitment as Canadian citizen for ever. I need the advice on the following:-
a) what is preparatory work I do before leaving and joining in middle east.
b) how do I pay my tax on middle east salary in Canada. how do declare and how to file taxes.
c) Is there any tax offices in Canada who can take of our filing matters.
siyer

dabas

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Please let me understand this, yu are a Canadian citizen but never filed Tax in Canada?

dnyfyn

Aug 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-2016
Med's Request
08-2016
Med's Done....
08-2016
There is nothing understand did he file taxes in Canada. The fact is he wants to pay taxes as a Non-Resident Canadian.

In CRA website you have an option to pay as a Non-Resident Canadian for income earned abroad. I am not familiar with the details. But legally you have to file and pay. There are many concessions available since you bring money into the country. However you need to prove you are brining in money.

As far as I know you dont have an office in Qatar. You need to do it online through online taxation companies or physically do it in Canada.

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
as Canadian or PR you will need to file tax return annualy. You can use CRA approved software and file tax online. You just feed the software with your income information in a kind of interview between you and the software. There will be questions on income from sources outside Canada where you tap in the figures of your income.
At the end, the software calculate and tell how much you have to pay, if any payments, is due.
I imagaine you may be entitled to tax credit but the software will tell you at the end. You can then pay CRA through your bank account.

abgdadi

Jun 30, 2015
You only have to pay taxes on income from Canadian sources. Therefore, no taxes required on your salary from Qatar.

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
abgdadi said:
You only have to pay taxes on income from Canadian sources. Therefore, no taxes required on your salary from Qatar.
This is not correct. Canadians should pay tax for the world income as long as the person deemed to be resident of Canada. Although you might not live in Canada, you may still be a Canadian resident based on severacl factors. You may read more in the CRA web site about those factors.

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
I can tell you the correct details:

Before leaving Canada you need to file departure tax return which is like exit tax that is if you declare yourself as a non resident of Canada meaning you close all your bank accounts, all your credit cards, sell your car, close tour health card, cancel your phone line and cancel your internet connection before you leave and you don't own house in Canada, in this case you can file the departure tax return in any tax preparation office before you leave and you will inform them you closed everything,in this case after filing the departure tax return CRA will send you a letter by mail informing you that you are a non resident in Canada and that you dont have to pay taxes or file tax returns yearly as long as you continue to live in Qatar.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
shankariyer said:
As a Canadian citizen I am planning to work in Qatar, middle east from where I migrated. At the same time I want to honour my commitment as Canadian citizen for ever. I need the advice on the following:-
a) what is preparatory work I do before leaving and joining in middle east.
b) how do I pay my tax on middle east salary in Canada. how do declare and how to file taxes.
c) Is there any tax offices in Canada who can take of our filing matters.
siyer
I would advise you to find some relevant details on CRA's website or call them and figure out the right procedure.