+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Canada while waiting for PR card

coolkanadian

Feb 9, 2011
Okay so I am a newbie to the forum. I was happy to find this site though because after reading many posts it is clear you guys know the deal! So to start:

Hi my name is Jordan. I am a Canadian citizen and will be very shortly (next month) be marrying my American girlfriend who has been living with me on visitors visas for the past 7 months.

My question to all of you is with regards to whether or not she can work during the whole family sponsorship process. It would appear this process is a rather lengthy one when applying from inside Canada. (Currently 9 months for part 1 and 10 months for part 2?) So basically this is almost two full years of processing which seems quite long, but oh well what can you do? So is there a way she can work during this time? I am speaking of basically any general work. She is a Dental Assistant in Ohio, but is not yet certified here. This may take time and therefore she may be wanting to just pick up a retail job or something in the meantime. Is this something that can be applied for?

I am also assuming she is allowed to stay in Canada during this whole process, but is she allowed to leave Canada to visit home, and or other places like Mexico for vacation and so on?

I really appreciate everyones time on this. I am pretty ignorant to the process so anything helps!

Thanks guys,

Jordan

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolkanadian said:
Just read that! Thank you very much. That perfectly outlines what I needed.

Take care and thanks again!
Any more questions just ask, there are lots of helpful people here.