+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Canada as a Foreigner

tiagofadsilva

Mar 16, 2018
Good night everyone,

I am a 20 year old male currently living in Portugal and I wanted to work in Canada. I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer/Software Engineering and around 1 year worth of work experience. I haven't done the IELTS test, but I think I could score at least an 8.0 in all categories (except maybe in speaking). I've tried online tools to check if I was eligible for either a Work Visa or Permanent Residency, but both came out negative.

I was wondering what was the best way to go about immigrating to Canada and work there in my area of expertise. Given my information, is it best if I try the Work Visa or Permanent Residency? I wanted to try to find a job offer as well while I'm still outside Canada, which can be a huge help in both situations, but I've read that it can be extremely difficult since employers need to apply for LMO, which can take months, in order for me to have a valid job offer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good night everyone,

I am a 20 year old male currently living in Portugal and I wanted to work in Canada. I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer/Software Engineering and around 1 year worth of work experience. I haven't done the IELTS test, but I think I could score at least an 8.0 in all categories (except maybe in speaking). I've tried online tools to check if I was eligible for either a Work Visa or Permanent Residency, but both came out negative.

I was wondering what was the best way to go about immigrating to Canada and work there in my area of expertise. Given my information, is it best if I try the Work Visa or Permanent Residency? I wanted to try to find a job offer as well while I'm still outside Canada, which can be a huge help in both situations, but I've read that it can be extremely difficult since employers need to apply for LMO, which can take months, in order for me to have a valid job offer.
You're right - it's generally next to impossible to secure a job offer and approved LMIA from an employer in Canada. I would recommend you focus on immigrating and start by researching the Express Entry program to see what it takes to apply and how many points you have. This is a points based system so that means those with the most points are selected. Points are awarded based on your language test results, education completed, years of work experience, age and other factors. You'll also need to show you have sufficient funds to establish yourself in Canada when you arrive. For a single person, this is around $13K.

tiagofadsilva

Mar 16, 2018
Thank you for the reply. I tried the Express Entry CRS and, even assuming max scores in the IELTS test, which I highly doubt I'll get, I only got 391 points. I know this is very little. Is there any other way? Like applying for some Province Program or something. I want to go to Alberta since I have a friend there

Sujan Kingston

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Thank you for the reply. I tried the Express Entry CRS and, even assuming max scores in the IELTS test, which I highly doubt I'll get, I only got 391 points. I know this is very little. Is there any other way? Like applying for some Province Program or something. I want to go to Alberta since I have a friend there
Why don't you go with other provinces which doesn't require points like in Ontario/Alberta. Work Permit might be fastest way to Canada but LMIA is very hard to get.if you want then,you can certainly try for Atlantic Immigration Pilot it might be best for you and best part is you don't need an LMIA.
You only need to find an employer who wants to hire you from these four Provinces in Canada: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador.proof of funds are just above $3000 for 1 person.

tiagofadsilva

Mar 16, 2018
Why don't you go with other provinces which doesn't require points like in Ontario/Alberta. Work Permit might be fastest way to Canada but LMIA is very hard to get.if you want then,you can certainly try for Atlantic Immigration Pilot it might be best for you and best part is you don't need an LMIA.
You only need to find an employer who wants to hire you from these four Provinces in Canada: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador.proof of funds are just above $3000 for 1 person.
Because the main reason why I'm going to Canada in the first place is to meet my friend there, and he lives in the Alberta province

Sujan Kingston

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Because the main reason why I'm going to Canada in the first place is to meet my friend there, and he lives in the Alberta province
If you just want to meet your friend then,go on visit visa or if you want to work there,then it's work permit and if you want to apply for PR,then i think you should try to increase your score.In Alberta gov website,there are tons of information on http://www.albertacanada.com/opportunity/programs-and-forms/express-entry.aspx it's worth trying more.