+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working holiday visa, what happens at the border? Question regarding possibly not disclosing medical issue

azizn03

Jan 6, 2021
Hi Everyone,

So one of the questions for the work permit application for the IEC working holiday visa process was something along the lines of, if I had any physical or mental disorders that required health or social care excluding any medication.

At first, I assumed this question was just referring to disabilities so I left it blank, my work visa got approved quite quickly and I thought maybe I should have entered the fact that I had a transplant 12 years ago and I have hypertension. I started a new application, filled in that information and did a medical exam but then that application got rejected as I was already in the IEC pool with I assume an approved work visa.

So, my question is I guess I will have to see what happens at the border after I declare what has happened, has anyone else gone through a similar experience? I tried emailing the IRCC offices explaining my situation but I only got generic responses.

I have doctor letters stating I will be getting my transplant medication from the UK, would only need hypertension medication from the hospital and would be getting blood test reviews done to be sent to the UK as well.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You left out extremely important information on your application . Basically left out information that could of affected the VO decision to give a visa . Question says nothing about disabilities.
You were aware in other postings regarding potentially being medical inadmissible
“Misrepresentation occurs when information is provided to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) that is inconsistent, inaccurate, or incomplete. Misrepresented information can be provided (or omitted) by yourself, a family member, or your representative”

And your Drs letter from the UK regarding importing your transplant drugs from there is irrelevant. Your allowed to bring in only 90 days
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/chances-of-passing-the-medical-exam-as-a-kidney-transplant-patient.716818/

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/compliance-enforcement/importation-exportation/personal-use-health-products-guidance/document.html

Last edited:

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi Everyone,

So one of the questions for the work permit application for the IEC working holiday visa process was something along the lines of, if I had any physical or mental disorders that required health or social care excluding any medication.

At first, I assumed this question was just referring to disabilities so I left it blank, my work visa got approved quite quickly and I thought maybe I should have entered the fact that I had a transplant 12 years ago and I have hypertension. I started a new application, filled in that information and did a medical exam but then that application got rejected as I was already in the IEC pool with I assume an approved work visa.

So, my question is I guess I will have to see what happens at the border after I declare what has happened, has anyone else gone through a similar experience? I tried emailing the IRCC offices explaining my situation but I only got generic responses.

I have doctor letters stating I will be getting my transplant medication from the UK, would only need hypertension medication from the hospital and would be getting blood test reviews done to be sent to the UK as well.
You had done MISINTERPRETION. Why leave such a critical point in first place?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi Everyone,

1. You can only bring 90 days of prescription meds to Canada.
2. Prescription meds cannot be mailed to Canada.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Because people feign ignorance
I agree because of this all of them comes under microscope and they speculate that why IRCC is doing this to people belonging to this particular country or group and not others. Why to hide they will find eventually by one way or another especially critical factors like oh I forgot to mention this or that, and suming up by "it was not my intention, I haven't done it deliberatly", dude come on!!

azizn03

Jan 6, 2021
Just an update on this. I was upfront with everything and they didn't seem to mind as they felt rejecting someone based on my illness would be unfair and i got my work visa approved. Probably helped due to that fact that the job offer letter I provided proved I could cover the cost of the medication even if I was not insured. In regards to the prescription medication you can mail medication from your home country as a non resident, just need to provide proof you are a non resident in the package. Seems people are spreading misinformation without actually doing the research first.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Just an update on this. I was upfront with everything and they didn't seem to mind as they felt rejecting someone based on my illness would be unfair and i got my work visa approved. Probably helped due to that fact that the job offer letter I provided proved I could cover the cost of the medication even if I was not insured. In regards to the prescription medication you can mail medication from your home country as a non resident, just need to provide proof you are a non resident in the package. Seems people are spreading misinformation without actually doing the research first.
Except someone here on a IEC is NOT a visitor

Obviously someone needs to advise the Governments website , that the information is incorrect

“Prescription drugs also have specific import requirements and are only permitted to be imported by a practitioner, a drug manufacturer, a wholesale druggist, a registered pharmacist, or a resident of a foreign country while a visitor in Canada. Canadian residents are generally not permitted to import prescription drugs by mail or courier. In certain cases, exemptions exist for Canadian residents to import prescription drugs (see Can I bring prescription drugs into Canada?).”

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/compliance-enforcement/importation-exportation/personal-use-health-products-guidance/document.html#a6.2

But do what you want
How about you post an official Government link with your information to back it up ?
You still misrepresented your situation .

azizn03

Jan 6, 2021
Except someone here on a IEC is NOT a visitor

Obviously someone needs to advise the Governments website , that the information is incorrect

“Prescription drugs also have specific import requirements and are only permitted to be imported by a practitioner, a drug manufacturer, a wholesale druggist, a registered pharmacist, or a resident of a foreign country while a visitor in Canada. Canadian residents are generally not permitted to import prescription drugs by mail or courier. In certain cases, exemptions exist for Canadian residents to import prescription drugs (see Can I bring prescription drugs into Canada?).”

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/compliance-enforcement/importation-exportation/personal-use-health-products-guidance/document.html#a6.2

But do what you want
How about you post an official Government link with your information to back it up ?
You still misrepresented your situation .

Clearly you need to take some medication for your clearly pent up anger issues and put down whatever your smoking because someone on a work visa clearly isn't a resident by definition but a foreign worker. I'll belive the Canadian border agency representative I spoke too over someone who needs a new hobby providing the wrong information to people. Unless they are wrong as well and you seem to know everything?