+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances of passing the medical exam as a kidney transplant patient

azizn03

Jan 6, 2021
Hi,

So I am 28 years old and I am currently going through the express entry application, to get the remaining points I'm either looking to get a working holiday visa or the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) via the Human Capital Priorities Stream via CEC. So I had a kidney transplant due to end-stage CKD failure as I was born premature so they are not as big as they should be. I had the transplant back in June 2008 and it is still all in good health.

So my question is I am quite worried I am going to fail my medical exam if I get to the permanent residency stage due to my health issues.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

So I am 28 years old and I am currently going through the express entry application, to get the remaining points I'm either looking to get a working holiday visa or the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) via the Human Capital Priorities Stream via CEC. So I had a kidney transplant due to end-stage CKD failure as I was born premature so they are not as big as they should be. I had the transplant back in June 2008 and it is still all in good health.

So my question is I am quite worried I am going to fail my medical exam if I get to the permanent residency stage due to my health issues.
This is a hard call. I believe the average age for a transplanted kidney is around 15 years.

When IRCC assesses your application, they will look to determine what your care may potentially cost the Canadian health care system over the next 10 years. If IRCC believes it's very likely that you will require a kidney transplant and/or dialysis in the next 10 years, then they will most likely move to refuse your application due to excessive demand.

You probably won't know unless you give it a try. Hard to predict which way this might go.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In addition to what @scylla has said your anti rejection drugs are likely quite costly so that will also factor into the equation in addition to likely needing a new kidney in the next 10 years. Kidney problems aren’t one of the top reasons for rejection due to high medical costs.

azizn03

Jan 6, 2021
In addition to what @scylla has said your anti rejection drugs are likely quite costly so that will also factor into the equation in addition to likely needing a new kidney in the next 10 years. Kidney problems aren’t one of the top reasons for rejection due to high medical costs.
Did you mean to say they are one of the top reasons not aren't?. I am hoping there is something I can work out with the solictor like seeing if I can show proof I would be willing to pay more out of pocket or something along those lines. Does paying private health insurance factor in reducing the costs towards their healthcare system?

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
It doesn't really work that way, once you're a permanent resident you will have full access to the nationalised healthcare system.

It's not something they can place restrictions on after the fact.

I hope it works out but you should consult an immigration lawyer for more advice.

azizn03

Jan 6, 2021
It doesn't really work that way, once you're a permanent resident you will have full access to the nationalised healthcare system.

It's not something they can place restrictions on after the fact.

I hope it works out but you should consult an immigration lawyer for more advice.
I understand, I do have a meeting next Friday and I will be providing relevant medical documentation so I am hoping there is something I can do and it is not fully out of my control.

azizn03

Jan 6, 2021
Don't lose hope, it all depends on the excessive demand threshold:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/excessive-demand.html

The last calculation mentioned is for 2018, $99,060 over 5 years (or $19,812 per year).

You can sort of cross-check what you spend on your drugs with that (or better yet, an estimate of what it would cost in Canada), but that's a high threshold.
I kinda already did that and with my drugs, it would roughly be around $9000 a year but the main worry is due to the age of the transplant being 12 years they might make the case it has a high case of failing which would require dialysis which apparently ranges from $56,000 to $107,000 annually from a recent google search. So that alone is quite worrying.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
I think that's something you just have to let take its course during the assessment of your medicals.

At least you know you have no regrets.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I kinda already did that and with my drugs, it would roughly be around $9000 a year but the main worry is due to the age of the transplant being 12 years they might make the case it has a high case of failing which would require dialysis which apparently ranges from $56,000 to $107,000 annually from a recent google search. So that alone is quite worrying.
You've done all of the right research. Your medication isn't going to be an issue.

You'll only have an issue if IRCC believe you're going to need dialysis or a kidney transplant in the next 5-10 years. You are right, the annual costs of dialysis in Canada are very high. If you receive a PFL letter, what you'll need to do it show evidence (e.g. letters from doctors, test results, etc.) to prove that neither of these treatments (i.e. transplant or dialysis) are likely to be required in the next 5-10 years.

Good luck.

Tim#1

Apr 7, 2021
That is pretty much the plan really.
Hi Azizn

I am in same boat as you. my husband is the kidney transplant patient. Though i have not received my ITA yet, but am worried even if i receive it may get rejected because of my husband's health condition.
Could you let us know how it went for you ?

Would be really grateful, thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Azizn

I am in same boat as you. my husband is the kidney transplant patient. Though i have not received my ITA yet, but am worried even if i receive it may get rejected because of my husband's health condition.
Could you let us know how it went for you ?

Would be really grateful, thanks.
You would be rejected if your spouse is medically inadmissible. If you got accepted on your own you could then just sponsor your spouse.

Tim#1

Apr 7, 2021
You would be rejected if your spouse is medically inadmissible. If you got accepted on your own you could then just sponsor your spouse.
Hi
How can i get accepted on my own, please let me know? I got to know that even if i apply as an individual profile, still medical exam of my spouse and child will be done.
Is it possible to get pr first for myself and my kid without facing rejection due to my husband's health condition and then sponsor my husband.
Regards
Tim

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi
How can i get accepted on my own, please let me know? I got to know that even if i apply as an individual profile, still medical exam of my spouse and child will be done.
Is it possible to get pr first for myself and my kid without facing rejection due to my husband's health condition and then sponsor my husband.
Regards
Tim
It's not possible. Your spouse needs to pass the medical in order for your application to be approved.