+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Holiday Visa then Spousal Sponsorship - question

BWCMONK

Sep 5, 2015
Hi - hopefully a quick and not too complicated question. I am both a New Zealand and Canadian citizen (by virtue of having a Canadian mother), however I have never lived in Canada. I do hold a Canadian citizenship certificate and a Canadian passport which hasn't really been used (apart from when travelling to Canada). My wife and I are planning on moving to Vancouver in March, 2016 and we currently live in London, England. From what I have read this doesn't allow us enough time for me to get approved as a sponsor and then apply for her under the spousal program (looks to be about 24 months from what I read). My thought is that she will apply for a working holiday visa (for a NZ'er takes about 60 days) as it lasts up to 2 years, we will move to Canada in March 2016 as planned and once there will go through the process of spousal sponsorship.

I was wondering if anyone sees any flaws in my plan or can perhaps suggest a better/more efficient option? Small challenge is that we plan to travel around India from Dec 2015 to Feb 2016 before heading to NZ for a couple of weeks and then to Canada from there. So if we need to send away passports for Visa stamps etc., it may not be enough time between now and the start of December.

If this plan seems like a good one, my small concern is that if we arrive in Canada together, me with a Canadian passport and her on a working holiday visa this might be a problem for the border agents as it indicates she is planning on being there permanently (albeit legally).

Most likely I'll have a job before I arrive.

Thanks for any advice.