+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working holiday visa - can I leave Canada and re-enter

Serena_101

Dec 8, 2018
hi

I need to enter Canada before 9 February 2019 in order to use my working holiday visa. Can I enter Canada just to activate my visa, come back home to the UK, and then re-enter Canada again in a few months?

The reason I ask is because I am not quite ready to move over just yet, but I may have a job lined up in a few months. If possible, I would rather wait until I have secured a job before moving over. However I don’t want to risk not being able to use my working holiday visa at all.

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Sure you can do that but you must still meet the IEC conditions and arrive with 2 years travel insurance and access to 2500 CDN. If you do not have the insurance your permit will either not be issued or issued for a very short period.

As you already know it’s use it or lose it, a one time opportunity and no need to tell CBSA you are just activating unless you are specifically asked that question which is unlikely. General rule with CBSA is only answer questions asked do not volunteer extra information or strike up a conversation.
You will still be assessed again when you return later but with a permit in your passport at least you have a reason to enter again.

Another tip is to check the permit that gets stapled in your passport to make sure it is for the full term you expect given lot harder to resolve once you leave the immigration area as has been known for shorter terms to be given in error regardless of origin country.

Last edited:

Serena_101

Dec 8, 2018
Sure you can do that but you must still meet the IEC conditions and arrive with 2 years travel insurance and access to 2500 CDN. If you do not have the insurance your permit will either not be issued or issued for a very short period.

As you already know it’s use it or lose it, a one time opportunity and no need to tell CBSA you are just activating unless you are specifically asked that question which is unlikely. General rule with CBSA is only answer questions asked do not volunteer extra information or strike up a conversation.
You will still be assessed again when you return later but with a permit in your passport at least you have a reason to enter again.

Another tip is to check the permit that gets stapled in your passport to make sure it is for the full term you expect given lot harder to resolve once you leave the immigration area as has been known for shorter terms to be given in error regardless of origin country.
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yep i would buy a 2 year travel insurance before I go to Canada and make sure I have 2,500 CAD each time I enter Canada. As long as I do that then hopefully it should be fine?

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yep i would buy a 2 year travel insurance before I go to Canada and make sure I have 2,500 CAD each time I enter Canada. As long as I do that then hopefully it should be fine?

Thanks
Yes, it will be fine.