+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Holiday to Visitor. How important is to leave in time?

philatcanada

Apr 13, 2011
Hey guys!

I'm from Germany and on a Working Holiday Visa right now. The Working Holiday Visa is valid until April 17th. I plan to leave the country and re-enter as a visitor. As a German that requires no application or anything. Due to planning it would be much more convenient for me to leave Canada on the 18th. How much of a problem is it, if I leave the country a few hours after my Visa already expired? Does it matter?

Thanks so much!
Phil

philatcanada

Apr 13, 2011
Just for people stumbling across this on their research:

I crossed the border, it was no problem. You have to leave the country by the date that's on your Visa! If you don't want to do that: On the back side of your Working (Holiday) Visa, the thing they staple into your passport, there are instructions on how to extend your stay. You need to do that 90days in advance before your Visa expires. It costs like 60$ though.

If you decide to leave the country you don't have to pay anything but(!) the officer at the border wants to see evidence that you can support yourself while staying in Canada as a tourist. It is always good to print your flight tickets or whatever you have that proves that you're going to leave the country. It my case that saved me from not being able to go back in.

Canada's border customs are not buddy's you can just talk with. They are sceptical wand want to see prove. And it's good that they do. Just be prepared!

Best
Phil