+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Holiday to PR

MonkeyRPN

Sep 20, 2019
Hello,

I'm asking this on behalf of my brother in law (Ted). He's from Hong Kong and he arrived here in Vancouver on August 24, 2019 with a 12 month working holiday visa. Me and my wife are Canadian citizens already, we're already in process of sponsoring her parents to come to Canada. Because Ted is 27 years old, he can't be a dependant of their parents, so he's really wanting to look at options to apply for PR himself. He's an computer animator, so he would a class B if he wants to do the foreign workers program. I've looked through this forum for similar situations, and correct me if I'm wrong, but is this what he's up against in terms of options:
1. Hong Kong only allows for 12 months of working holiday, and are there any ways to extend this?
2. Hong Kong does not have a young professional program... so this is not an option for him for express entry?
3. A bit confused about the express entry... seems like there are multiple programs that can be considered for express entry... what are the difference between express and not express???
4. Because he would be looking for entry positions in his job class... it's not very likely that he would be able to get a LMIA from an employer, so this option is out.
5. Without a LMIA... would he still be able to apply for Foreign Skilled Worker? If we start the application now, would he be able to stay past his Working Holiday visa on implied status?
6. If he has to leave by end of the Working Holiday visa, could he still pursue the Foreign Skilled Worker program from back home in Hong Kong?

Thank you so much in advance of any feedback and advise on this matter.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. No idea, but probably not. Check Hong Kong's rules on this.
2. Same as 1.
3. There are three pathways to Express Entry. You can read more here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

There are non-EE pathways, but they typically take longer and are usually harder to qualify for. If he can qualify under Express Entry, that would be the fastest way to get PR.

4. Yes, it would be hard to get an LMIA approved job to start with. But it may be possible after he's worked for some months - perhaps his employer will really want him to stay on full-time. It's not impossible.
5. If he qualifies for FSW, he can apply anytime. No, he will not have implied status, but assuming he gets invited and submits a complete application, he will be able to get a Bridging Open Work Permit that will let him continue working and living in Canada while his application proceeds.
6. Yes, he can do this from anywhere in the world.

You should spend some time reading up on Express Entry - Federal Skilled Worker. There are lots of guides on this forum as well (check the pinned threads at the top of the EE forum).

MonkeyRPN

Sep 20, 2019
Thank you 21Goose! I've went to the EE forum and found some really helpful posts (like the long detailed one you posted!) to set out our game plan. As I'm looking at the posts... I wonder if there's a difference between just doing the general Federal Skilled Worker program and the EEBC Skilled Workers Category? My brother in law will definitely want to be here in Vancouver with us... so we wonder if there's a difference between the two and if one is faster than the other.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I'm asking this on behalf of my brother in law (Ted). He's from Hong Kong and he arrived here in Vancouver on August 24, 2019 with a 12 month working holiday visa. Me and my wife are Canadian citizens already, we're already in process of sponsoring her parents to come to Canada. Because Ted is 27 years old, he can't be a dependant of their parents, so he's really wanting to look at options to apply for PR himself. He's an computer animator, so he would a class B if he wants to do the foreign workers program. I've looked through this forum for similar situations, and correct me if I'm wrong, but is this what he's up against in terms of options:
1. Hong Kong only allows for 12 months of working holiday, and are there any ways to extend this?
2. Hong Kong does not have a young professional program... so this is not an option for him for express entry?
3. A bit confused about the express entry... seems like there are multiple programs that can be considered for express entry... what are the difference between express and not express???
4. Because he would be looking for entry positions in his job class... it's not very likely that he would be able to get a LMIA from an employer, so this option is out.
5. Without a LMIA... would he still be able to apply for Foreign Skilled Worker? If we start the application now, would he be able to stay past his Working Holiday visa on implied status?
6. If he has to leave by end of the Working Holiday visa, could he still pursue the Foreign Skilled Worker program from back home in Hong Kong?

Thank you so much in advance of any feedback and advise on this matter.
1. No way to extend. If he wants to continue working in Canada, he would need a job offer and approved LMIA from the employer so that he can apply for a closed work permit.
2. YP is not available to individuals from HK.
3. There is Express Entry, Canadian Experience Class and separately the Provincial Nominee Programs. If your brother is serious about immigrating to Canada, he'll need to dedicate significant time to researching each to understand the requirements to apply.
5. Yes - he can still apply for FSW/Express Entry provided he qualifies. An LMIA is not required. Note that he needs to have 460+ points to be selected right now. Has he calculated his points?
6. Yes.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you 21Goose! I've went to the EE forum and found some really helpful posts (like the long detailed one you posted!) to set out our game plan. As I'm looking at the posts... I wonder if there's a difference between just doing the general Federal Skilled Worker program and the EEBC Skilled Workers Category? My brother in law will definitely want to be here in Vancouver with us... so we wonder if there's a difference between the two and if one is faster than the other.

Thanks!
Federal Skilled Worker is now administered through Express Entry. These are NOT two separate programs - they are one and the same. He has to apply through EE and will need around 460 points to be selected from the applicant pool.

Based on your questions, would strongly recommend dedicating more time to research.

banana_soup

Aug 15, 2019
1. I am from Hong Kong too - and I actually got a 24-months work permit when I landed in Canada. I don't know if I just got lucky or I somehow met the criteria for a longer work permit?
I think the working holiday work permit is extendable - only in cases like - if you are employed in Canada (the valid job offer) & and have your PR application approved but still processing, and the work permit will end before you can get the "maple card". Or an employer is willing to sponsor... Otherwise, it is probably impossible.

For the remaining questions, unfortunately, I can't help much as I am figuring out the express entry myself...

Computer animator - does he do 3D modelling and programming? If his job fits this category -> "2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers" then perhaps the Ontario Tech Draw programme might be helpful to you

MonkeyRPN

Sep 20, 2019
1. I am from Hong Kong too - and I actually got a 24-months work permit when I landed in Canada. I don't know if I just got lucky or I somehow met the criteria for a longer work permit?
I think the working holiday work permit is extendable - only in cases like - if you are employed in Canada (the valid job offer) & and have your PR application approved but still processing, and the work permit will end before you can get the "maple card". Or an employer is willing to sponsor... Otherwise, it is probably impossible.

For the remaining questions, unfortunately, I can't help much as I am figuring out the express entry myself...

Computer animator - does he do 3D modelling and programming? If his job fits this category -> "2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers" then perhaps the Ontario Tech Draw programme might be helpful to you
Hi banana_soup, nice to meet a fellow Hong Konger! May I ask how you landed in Canada in the first place? Were you able to secure a job offer while you were in Hong Kong therefore able to apply for a 24-month work permit?

My brother-in-law is not a programmer, so he actually fits in the NOC 5271 Graphic Designers and Illustrators. We're keeping positive as this category covers a LONG list of jobs he qualifies for... so rather he only applies for his dream job of gaming animator, I suggest he applies for any of the jobs listed that he's qualified to do... so that he can indicate he has a current job offer while he's here in Canada. Fingers crossed!

I'm really glad to have found this forum while we navigate through this immigration process. Where are you about? Ontario or BC?

MonkeyRPN

Sep 20, 2019
Federal Skilled Worker is now administered through Express Entry. These are NOT two separate programs - they are one and the same. He has to apply through EE and will need around 460 points to be selected from the applicant pool.

Based on your questions, would strongly recommend dedicating more time to research.
Thank you scylla for your feedback. Yes I'm doing as much research as I can... but sometimes the information I'm reading on the government website are kinda confusing... I'm really glad to have found this forum to help me clarify the process.

banana_soup

Aug 15, 2019
Hi banana_soup, nice to meet a fellow Hong Konger! May I ask how you landed in Canada in the first place? Were you able to secure a job offer while you were in Hong Kong therefore able to apply for a 24-month work permit?

My brother-in-law is not a programmer, so he actually fits in the NOC 5271 Graphic Designers and Illustrators. We're keeping positive as this category covers a LONG list of jobs he qualifies for... so rather he only applies for his dream job of gaming animator, I suggest he applies for any of the jobs listed that he's qualified to do... so that he can indicate he has a current job offer while he's here in Canada. Fingers crossed!

I'm really glad to have found this forum while we navigate through this immigration process. Where are you about? Ontario or BC?
I didn't have a job when I arrived in Canada, and I just went through the regular working holiday application process. Nothing special really... its probably pure luck then. I suppose the immigration officers might be giving either 12 or 24-month permit depending on mood -_-

That's great! He does have a wide range of jobs to choose from. But actually there're a lot of top gaming and visual effects studios in Canada - the industry is quite big here. So perhaps it's actually easier to find his dream job here than Hong Kong :)

I'm in Ontario. What about you?:)

MonkeyRPN

Sep 20, 2019
I didn't have a job when I arrived in Canada, and I just went through the regular working holiday application process. Nothing special really... its probably pure luck then. I suppose the immigration officers might be giving either 12 or 24-month permit depending on mood -_-

That's great! He does have a wide range of jobs to choose from. But actually there're a lot of top gaming and visual effects studios in Canada - the industry is quite big here. So perhaps it's actually easier to find his dream job here than Hong Kong :)

I'm in Ontario. What about you?:)
Yeah it looks like you got lucky (or maybe Hong Kong had a longer Working Holiday period before?) when you came and got 24 months. I've been researching and looking at the CIC website and it doesn't look like it's possible to extend his 12 months working holiday visa... sigh.

He's actively looking for a job now... and I'm telling him to also study for the IELTS! I think how things are looking now... might have to take this 12 months as an experience to set him up for what to expect living and working in Canada. Then he'll have to work on IELTS and apply for the Express Entry from Hong Kong. He really wants to be here, as you mentioned, it would be more realistic for him to have a career in his dream job as animator here than in Hong Kong.

We're from British Columbia!

banana_soup

Aug 15, 2019
Yeah it looks like you got lucky (or maybe Hong Kong had a longer Working Holiday period before?) when you came and got 24 months. I've been researching and looking at the CIC website and it doesn't look like it's possible to extend his 12 months working holiday visa... sigh.

He's actively looking for a job now... and I'm telling him to also study for the IELTS! I think how things are looking now... might have to take this 12 months as an experience to set him up for what to expect living and working in Canada. Then he'll have to work on IELTS and apply for the Express Entry from Hong Kong. He really wants to be here, as you mentioned, it would be more realistic for him to have a career in his dream job as animator here than in Hong Kong.

We're from British Columbia!
Hello from Toronto!:)

Good luck on IELTS! It's harder than you think to maximize the language points in express entry - especially the writing part.

For the Canadian experience to add any points, you need a full 12-months job for it to count - otherwise, I guess it only counts as a job offer (not sure)? Then perhaps he needs to secure a job before landing...

Last edited: