+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working from Canada remotely for a US employer

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
Hi, I am in h4 ead and would be moving to Canada as a PR. My employer is ok for me to work from home and they don't have a branch in Canada.
Once my h4 ead expires, can I still work, since I read in US is website that i9 is not required if the employee is not physically present in US.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi, I am in h4 ead and would be moving to Canada as a PR. My employer is ok for me to work from home and they don't have a branch in Canada.
Once my h4 ead expires, can I still work, since I read in US is website that i9 is not required if the employee is not physically present in US.
Yes you can.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thanks Cansha. Can you please elaborate. Can I still get salary is USD in a US Bank?
I'm not sure but I don't think there is any such restriction. As you already mentioned the visa applies only if you are inside USA. There are no restrictions defined if you are not physically in USA.

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
I'm not sure but I don't think there is any such restriction. As you already mentioned the visa applies only if you are inside USA. There are no restrictions defined if you are not physically in USA.
Any leads or discussion around this earlier, please share the same..other discussion around this topic in this forum is all from tax perspective, which I'm clear about

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Any leads or discussion around this earlier, please share the same..other discussion around this topic in this forum is all from tax perspective, which I'm clear about
Honestly, I haven't seen any discussion on this topic on this forum. What I have told you is based on my research from Google and other forums on H1B visas etc. I had done few months back.
I understand you are on H4 so I guess your spouse is on H1B so most likely his organization has immigration attorneys. Ask him/her to confirm with them once, if you really want to be sure.

But as I said before from whatever I know you're fine.

Reactions: pseetha

freesoul

Sep 14, 2018
I think you can work remotely, but things to consider are taxes. If you only pay US income tax then Canada gains nothing, hence they might not be super stoked about this. I am not an expert, so asking a tax consultant would be better. Independent contractor might also be an option.

Reactions: pseetha

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
I think you can work remotely, but things to consider are taxes. If you only pay US income tax then Canada gains nothing, hence they might not be super stoked about this. I am not an expert, so asking a tax consultant would be better. Independent contractor might also be an option.
Yes..I have done some research on tax and the info is- what ever withholding the employer done are mentioned when I file my Canada tax as an income outside Canada. Since Canada and US have tax treaty, my Canada tax would be reduced for the $ I paid in US. Otherwise my taxes are only in Canada as its based where you reside..

migo80

Aug 17, 2020
Hello pseetha, I am curious to know what you eventually figured out. Can you please share? It would be really helpful. Thanks!