+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working for US company will residing in Canada

gypsyfiore

Jun 17, 2019
Hey there, I have been reviewing this forum but have not found anything close to my situation. I am a US citizen working for a US company. I work remotely so I can live anywhere. I am going to be travelling throughout the US and Canada, while living in a van. I will do my work wherever I am. I believe while I am doing this, since I will not be in Canada for more than 6 months, I should be fine. My companion is a Canadian citizen. After this adventure is over, we will permanently reside in Canada. My hope is to remain working for the US company while I apply for PR . Is this possible?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey there, I have been reviewing this forum but have not found anything close to my situation. I am a US citizen working for a US company. I work remotely so I can live anywhere. I am going to be travelling throughout the US and Canada, while living in a van. I will do my work wherever I am. I believe while I am doing this, since I will not be in Canada for more than 6 months, I should be fine. My companion is a Canadian citizen. After this adventure is over, we will permanently reside in Canada. My hope is to remain working for the US company while I apply for PR . Is this possible?
Yes - you can work for the US company in Canada without a work permit provided they have no Canadian clients and do no business in Canada.

gypsyfiore

Jun 17, 2019
Yes - you can work for the US company in Canada without a work permit provided they have no Canadian clients and do no business in Canada.
Thanks...Will I be able to live in Canada while in the application process? Once (if I get granted PR) will I have to pay taxes in both countries? Is there a time limit?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As a US citizen you will always have to complete a US tax return regardless of where in the world you live but US/Canada have a tax agreement to minimise exposure to double taxation when filing taxes in both countries. Plenty of information on this if you Google.

gypsyfiore

Jun 17, 2019
As a US citizen you will always have to complete a US tax return regardless of where in the world you live but US/Canada have a tax agreement to minimise exposure to double taxation when filing taxes in both countries. Plenty of information on this if you Google.
thanks . I have googled quite a bit and actually looked at the tax forms and schedules for the CRA. I was trying to preemptively look at the process. Google has so much conflicting information, it is hard to know what is actually the truth. I was just told by my Canadian friend that i would need a work visa to telework for the US company even though i am not providing any services to or selling anything to Canadian clients.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks . I have googled quite a bit and actually looked at the tax forms and schedules for the CRA. I was trying to preemptively look at the process. Google has so much conflicting information, it is hard to know what is actually the truth. I was just told by my Canadian friend that i would need a work visa to telework for the US company even though i am not providing any services to or selling anything to Canadian clients.
The whole company (your employer) needs to not do any work in Canada or have Canadian clients not just you. If your employer has no links to Canada you can work remotely from Canada

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Additionally be aware that as a visitor you will need health insurance. So I am not sure how favourable would it be for you to stay in Canada for more than few weeks to visit and admire it.