+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for US company in Canada(Travel Throughout Canada) Post-grad Work Permit

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
Hello,

I am in a situation, where I need proper advise for my career. I have 3 years post graduation work permit. I have been offered a full-time job by a US based company to work in Canada as a field service technician. So, I will be worked in Canada only.

The US company does not have any office in Canada as such. They do not have any formal setup in Canada. Additionally, service manager handles everything from US. However, I have been told by the company that my payroll will be issued in Canada and will be counted as a Canadian Work Experience. Do you see any issues in that arrangement?

Specifically,
1. Will my work experience in Canada be counted for my PR application?
2. Will my offer letter help me to earn more points in Express Entry?

I need your response as soon as possible. I appreciate your response in this regard.

Thanking you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - the offer letter won't get you more points under Express Entry. You need an approved LMIA to get points.

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
scylla said:
No - the offer letter won't get you more points under Express Entry. You need an approved LMIA to get points.
Thank you for your quick response!! According to them, my payroll will be issued in Canada and will be counted as a Canadian Work Experience. Though, I am still confused that my experience will be counted as a Canadian work experience or foreign work experience? What do I need to be counted as Canadian work experience, if I accept this job offer from US employer?

Thank you again!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do they have a branch or any operations in Canada? If they don't have a physical location / branch in Canada - I don't know if CIC will see that as Canadian work experience.

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
scylla said:
Do they have a branch or any operations in Canada? If they don't have a physical location / branch in Canada - I don't know if CIC will see that as Canadian work experience.
Thanks for your reply..They do not have branch or physical location in Canada, though I do not know about operations in Canada. They handle North America from their US office. The company name is CEM corporation, please take a look on website. Because I do not know, what type of collaboration do they have with Canada. They do supply equipment to Canadian government (PWGS Canada). According to me, it is a best company to work, that is why, I am more concern about the job offer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
B.patel said:
Can anyone help me please!! I will be paid in CAD with a Canadian payroll.
I don't think anyone here will be able to answer your question for certain. It will be up to CIC if they consider this to be Canadian work experience or not given the company doesn't have a physical Canadian location. I think you'll have to decide if you take the first and hope that CIC accepts this as Canadian experience, or if you want a sure thing. If you want a sure thing, secure a job with a company that has a physical presence in Canada.

ct21

May 30, 2017
Hello,

I am in a situation, where I need proper advise for my career. I have 3 years post graduation work permit. I have been offered a full-time job by a US based company to work in Canada as a field service technician. So, I will be worked in Canada only.

The US company does not have any office in Canada as such. They do not have any formal setup in Canada. Additionally, service manager handles everything from US. However, I have been told by the company that my payroll will be issued in Canada and will be counted as a Canadian Work Experience. Do you see any issues in that arrangement?

Specifically,
1. Will my work experience in Canada be counted for my PR application?
2. Will my offer letter help me to earn more points in Express Entry?

I need your response as soon as possible. I appreciate your response in this regard.

Thanking you.
Hey B. patel,

I am in the same situation, can you help me out if you worked for US firm on Open work permit and what was the result?
Thanking you. Waiting for your response.

ct21

May 30, 2017
Hey scylla,

If they have technical support team in Canada as contractor company and I am working for them, would it count as Canadian experience?
Thanking you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey scylla,

If they have technical support team in Canada as contractor company and I am working for them, would it count as Canadian experience?
Thanking you
If you are physically located in Canada and working there - then yes.

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
Hey B. patel,

I am in the same situation, can you help me out if you worked for US firm on Open work permit and what was the result?
Thanking you. Waiting for your response.
Hi, I haven't applied yet. Sorry, for the late reply. It should be counted as a Canadian experience. Though, I do have some questions to earn points as a Canadian experience.