+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for US based firm in Canada (Express Entry profile work history)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
For the security, please go to Service Canada and ask for RoE (Record of Employment). That is the ultimate proof for the Canadian experience.
If the OP continues to work for the same employer, there will be no RoE - they are only created upon termination of employment.

Snoviel Lopes

Jan 12, 2020
Hi @B.patel ! I have a similar situation. I am working here in Canada but my employer is a US company. i will soon complete 1 year work experience and considering applying thru CEC program. The US Company do not have an office here in Canada. But they have employees in Ontario.

I have been paid through a Canadian payroll. I filed for tax return here in Canada also (Received a T4).

sahilbhandari

Dec 29, 2017
Hi @Snoviel Lopes , I have a similar situation. I got my job after completing my Masters in Canada. My employer is from UK where I am a part of north american team. They dont have an office here in Canada. My employer is deducting all the taxes and providing canadian payroll. Will this count towards my work experience? It would be really helpful if you can share your experience on this ? If you found a solution to this, Kindly please share. @B.patel Hi Mr. Patel. Please share some view and your experience with this situation. Thank you so much in advance.

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
Hi @Snoviel Lopes , I have a similar situation. I got my job after completing my Masters in Canada. My employer is from UK where I am a part of north american team. They dont have an office here in Canada. My employer is deducting all the taxes and providing canadian payroll. Will this count towards my work experience? It would be really helpful if you can share your experience on this ? If you found a solution to this, Kindly please share. @B.patel Hi Mr. Patel. Please share some view and your experience with this situation. Thank you so much in advance.
It should be counted as a Canadian experience if you are physically living and working in Canada (a contribution to the Canadian economy).

psalmg

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Pretoria
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015 Redetermined
Doc's Request.
None
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
Med's Request
Upfront medical
Med's Done....
27-05-2015 Redone
Interview........
22-09-2015
Passport Req..
Submitted with Docs
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2016
LANDED..........
05-09-2016
Hi Folks,

I need quick help. I work for US based firm as a service engineer (travel throughout Canada).

1. Paid in Canadian Payroll after deduction of taxes
2. Company is registered in CRA
3. Working in Canadian territory
4. Canadian T4 & Notice of tax assessments
5. I am located in Toronto, serving whole Canadian territory

However, My pay stub generate through Ceridian payroll with US address on it. Now the problem origins when the system asks to enter company address (Country, State and City) at the time of adding work history in Express Entry Profile. Please take a look on screen shot: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai1EecAHns8-g9IDDqbzq4yKmPv6UA
Entering US address automatically counts my work as a foreign work experience and EE system does not support any explanation letter to force fully earn points for Canadian experience.

Hence, what is the reasonable way to earn points for Canadian work experience in this case? Your time and efforts for responding the forum will highly be appreciated.
On your employment letter, what's the address?
The office where you operate from in Toronto what address is it?
Look inward and outward you have your clue, whether US company or not they are registered and operating on Canadian territory and tax is been remitted

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
It should be counted as a Canadian experience if you are physically living and working in Canada (a contribution to the Canadian economy).
It is very clear that the employer MUST BE in Canada.

What kind of work experience do I need to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class?
To apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, your skilled work experience must:
  • be in a job classified as skill type 0, or skill level A or B according to the 2016 National Occupational Classification,
  • amount to at least one year of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) in the previous three years,
  • have been with an employer in Canada (self-employment does not count),
  • be gained with the proper legal authorization (for example, as a documented worker with a valid work permit), and
  • not be gained while you were studying on a student permit.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=730&top=29

hbaig27

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
It is very clear that the employer MUST BE in Canada.

What kind of work experience do I need to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class?
To apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, your skilled work experience must:
  • be in a job classified as skill type 0, or skill level A or B according to the 2016 National Occupational Classification,
  • amount to at least one year of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) in the previous three years,
  • have been with an employer in Canada (self-employment does not count),
  • be gained with the proper legal authorization (for example, as a documented worker with a valid work permit), and
  • not be gained while you were studying on a student permit.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=730&top=29
Would being employed by a Canadian PEO on the behalf of a US employer meet the criteria?

Being paid in CAD and paying Canadian taxes. Canadian PEO being the payroll employer of record

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
Would being employed by a Canadian PEO on the behalf of a US employer meet the criteria?

Being paid in CAD and paying Canadian taxes. Canadian PEO being the payroll employer of record
@hbaig27
As long as you are impacting the Canadian labor market by contributing to Canada and getting tax deducted from your payroll automatically, your experience must be counted as Canadian. You can review the link here for more insights >> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

Yes, I was able to get the PR without any huddle. If there is no location of your company in Canada, you could use your home address to earn points under the express entry. Make sure you have to prove in your explanation letter that you are helping the Canadian market/companies directly or indirectly.

hbaig27

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
@hbaig27
As long as you are impacting the Canadian labor market by contributing to Canada and getting tax deducted from your payroll automatically, your experience must be counted as Canadian. You can review the link here for more insights >> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

Yes, I was able to get the PR without any huddle. If there is no location of your company in Canada, you could use your home address to earn points under the express entry. Make sure you have to prove in your explanation letter that you are helping the Canadian market/companies directly or indirectly.
Congrats!
What did you provide for the work reference letters during ITA? Just a letter from your U.S employer?

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
Congrats!
What did you provide for the work reference letters during ITA? Just a letter from your U.S employer?
Thanks! The general employment letter specifying that you work in Canada (eg. to serve Canadian projects or to service Canadian territory). Then, you have to make your own explanation letter to specify how you work in Canada with responsibilities.

Jun 14, 2019
Hi All, I am in the similar situation. I am working for a US company through a PEO. If anyone here in the similar situation. Will this experience be counted towards a valid work experience for the purpose of CEC?

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
Hi All, I am in the similar situation. I am working for a US company through a PEO. If anyone here in the similar situation. Will this experience be counted towards a valid work experience for the purpose of CEC?
PEO is a different case. Mine had a company located in US and no branches or PEO in Canada. It worked out and received PR. So, do not worry just follow the links I posted in the thread and read it thoroughly. There are other people who contacted me and had the same scenario by having experience through PEO. Try to reach out to them.

Reactions: cecapplied

Kz7717

Apr 15, 2021
@hbaig27

Hi there, I am in the same situation as you. Did you use any lawyers or agencies for help? How did you write your explanation letter? Really appreciate your help! @B.patel