+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for US based firm in Canada (Express Entry profile work history)

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
Hi Folks,

I need quick help. I work for US based firm as a service engineer (travel throughout Canada).

1. Paid in Canadian Payroll after deduction of taxes
2. Company is registered in CRA
3. Working in Canadian territory
4. Canadian T4 & Notice of tax assessments
5. I am located in Toronto, serving whole Canadian territory

However, My pay stub generate through Ceridian payroll with US address on it. Now the problem origins when the system asks to enter company address (Country, State and City) at the time of adding work history in Express Entry Profile. Please take a look on screen shot: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai1EecAHns8-g9IDDqbzq4yKmPv6UA
Entering US address automatically counts my work as a foreign work experience and EE system does not support any explanation letter to force fully earn points for Canadian experience.

Hence, what is the reasonable way to earn points for Canadian work experience in this case? Your time and efforts for responding the forum will highly be appreciated.

limin_w

Jul 17, 2017
Hi Folks,

I need quick help. I work for US based firm as a service engineer (travel throughout Canada).

However, My pay stub generate through Ceridian payroll with US address on it. Now the problem origins when the system asks to enter company address (Country, State and City) at the time of adding work history in Express Entry Profile. Please take a look on screen shot: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai1EecAHns8-g9IDDqbzq4yKmPv6UA
Entering US address automatically counts my work as a foreign work experience and EE system does not support any explanation letter to force fully earn points for Canadian experience.

Hence, what is the reasonable way to earn points for Canadian work experience in this case? Your time and efforts for responding the forum will highly be appreciated.
Did your company specify address on T4? If so, is that a Canadian address? If there is a Canadian address on T4, then use that for EE profile and provide explanation on LoE post-ITA.

Maybe there are other folks here with more relevant experience that could provide more insights?

Reactions: B.patel

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
Thank you Limin_w for your reply:).. On the front page of my T4, there is US address on it while "ON" - Ontario is written in the "Province of Employment". Otherwise, company name and employer no. is written on the main page of T4.

I checked several threads here, unfortunately, no one clearly specified to earn points for Canadian experience in EE profile. The main thing is I can easily explain on LoE at the time of ITA, but here I have to convince the system in order to earn points for my experience.

I called CIC couple of times, they have different answers every time and failed to help me at last.

limin_w

Jul 17, 2017
Thank you Limin_w for your reply:).. On the front page of my T4, there is US address on it while "ON" - Ontario is written in the "Province of Employment". Otherwise, company name and employer no. is written on the main page of T4.

I checked several threads here, unfortunately, no one clearly specified to earn points for Canadian experience in EE profile. The main thing is I can easily explain on LoE at the time of ITA, but here I have to convince the system in order to earn points for my experience.

I called CIC couple of times, they have different answers every time and failed to help me at last.
If I were you, I would go talk to a consultant or lawyer at this point...

And as a last resort on this forum, let's try to ping one of the most knowledgeable member: @legalfalcon could you look through this post thread and see if you could offer any valuable suggestions?

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
If I were you, I would go talk to a consultant or lawyer at this point...

And as a last resort on this forum, let's try to ping one of the most knowledgeable member: @legalfalcon could you look through this post thread and see if you could offer any valuable suggestions?
I talked with a lawyer yesterday and she offered $4000 charges for PR help in this case. Another consultant did the same with almost $3800 charges. It seems like whatever I earned and saved in Canada (after deduction of higher taxes:D;)), I have to pay them for solving only one query.

limin_w

Jul 17, 2017
I talked with a lawyer yesterday and she offered $4000 charges for PR help in this case. Another consultant did the same with almost $3800 charges. It seems like whatever I earned and saved in Canada (after deduction of higher taxes:D;)), I have to pay them for solving only one query.
Ok there is another way: all lawyers can provide consulting by the hour. So book an hour with lawyer, prepare all questions you wanna ask. One hour is gonna cost you a couple hundreds but still better than letting them do the full application.

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
Ok there is another way: all lawyers can provide consulting by the hour. So book an hour with lawyer, prepare all questions you wanna ask. One hour is gonna cost you a couple hundreds but still better than letting them do the full application.
Whoo! Thanks for providing an alternative. I tried that one too:eek:. The lawyer charged me $100, however, when I asked what to enter in order to earn points for Canadian experience in my case. He suggested me that my experience will surely count as a Canadian experience with 100% guaranty. He also said that something was entered incorrectly and that's the reason, points are not being counted. At last, he refused to disclose unless letting him to do the application with $3.8K charges:D

Do you know any good lawyer in GTA with hourly consultation fees?

limin_w

Jul 17, 2017
Whoo! Thanks for providing an alternative. I tried that one too:eek:. The lawyer charged me $100, however, when I asked what to enter in order to earn points for Canadian experience in my case. He suggested me that my experience will surely count as a Canadian experience with 100% guaranty. He also said that something was entered incorrectly and that's the reason, points are not being counted. At last, he refused to disclose unless letting him to do the application with $3.8K charges:D

Do you know any good lawyer in GTA with hourly consultation fees?
$100/hr seems too cheap to be true to me... and that's probably why he did not disclose that information. Maybe this is just a paid hook to that lawyer...

Unfortunately I do not know any good lawyers that I could recommend to you... but I feel that an hourly rate of $300-500 seems fair in this market.

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
$100/hr seems too cheap to be true to me... and that's probably why he did not disclose that information. Maybe this is just a paid hook to that lawyer...

Unfortunately I do not know any good lawyers that I could recommend to you... but I feel that an hourly rate of $300-500 seems fair in this market.
Awesome! I really appreciate your help. I will find someone who can help me out with clear solution of it. I hope @legalfalcon can help me out with this.

dozgen

Jun 18, 2018
Hi Folks,

Hi,

I have the same question at the moment. However, I am just starting a job similar to your occasion. I am trying to clarify what are the needs in advance and share accordingly with my employee (company registration to CRA, payroll and taxes acc. to Canada laws, etc..)

I will be more than happy to get a clear answer about this. In addition, I don't think no one can be sure to find lawyer that will "really" solve the issue 100%. This is not a common case in my opinion. And not all lawyers can be experienced about this case. But surely all off them will promise they would succeed. In the meantime you are going to have the risk of spending ~4k$ and receiving a rejection.

Waiting for a solid and trustworthy answer,

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
Hi,

I have the same question at the moment. However, I am just starting a job similar to your occasion. I am trying to clarify what are the needs in advance and share accordingly with my employee (company registration to CRA, payroll and taxes acc. to Canada laws, etc..)

I will be more than happy to get a clear answer about this. In addition, I don't think no one can be sure to find lawyer that will "really" solve the issue 100%. This is not a common case in my opinion. And not all lawyers can be experienced about this case. But surely all off them will promise they would succeed. In the meantime you are going to have the risk of spending ~4k$ and receiving a rejection.

Waiting for a solid and trustworthy answer,
Hi @dozgen

I am still finding lawyer or consultant for this matter. I have not found reliable lawyer to guide me in this situation. By contacting some lawyers and consultants, I feel that no one knows exact answer. I also read many pages on CIC, which is only showing general information. Here are the links:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=730&top=29

Please let me know, if you find something. Thank you.

mamijuri

Aug 29, 2016
Hi @dozgen

I am still finding lawyer or consultant for this matter. I have not found reliable lawyer to guide me in this situation. By contacting some lawyers and consultants, I feel that no one knows exact answer. I also read many pages on CIC, which is only showing general information. Here are the links:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=730&top=29

Please let me know, if you find something. Thank you.

Hi @B.patel ! My husband have a similar situation. He's working here in Canada but his employer is a US company. He will soon complete 1 year work experience and considering applying thru CEC program. The US Company do not have an office here in Canada. But they sure do have other workers in each province.

It's been a year now, were you able to solve your situation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi @B.patel ! My husband have a similar situation. He's working here in Canada but his employer is a US company. He will soon complete 1 year work experience and considering applying thru CEC program. The US Company do not have an office here in Canada. But they sure do have other workers in each province.

It's been a year now, were you able to solve your situation?
Is he paid through a Canadian payroll or US payroll?

B.patel

Apr 8, 2017
He is paid through a Canadian payroll. He filed for tax return here in Canada also (he received a T4).
Hi @mamijuri , sorry for the late response. As long as he is working in Canada (No IT work from remote location - Work experience gained through working remotely for a foreign employer while incidentally in Canada would not meet the minimum requirements of 12 months in-Canada work experience needed to qualify for CEC) and getting paid under Canadian payroll system, he will surely be considered under Canadian experience. Just add your home address as work address while creating Express entry profile and as a consequence, he will gain points for Canadian experience. Then explain the scenario at the time of invitation.

For the security, please go to Service Canada and ask for RoE (Record of Employment). That is the ultimate proof for the Canadian experience.